Bethlehem in Pennsylvania

Monday, 16 July 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General
Reading Time:  8 minutes

Main Street © Tim Kiser/cc-by-sa-2.5

Main Street © Tim Kiser/cc-by-sa-2.5

Bethlehem is a city in Lehigh and Northampton counties in the Lehigh Valley region of the eastern portion of Pennsylvania. The city had a total population of 75,000, making it the seventh largest city in Pennsylvania. Of this, 55,639 were in Northampton County, and 19,343 were in Lehigh County. Bethlehem lies in the center of the Lehigh Valley, a region of 731 square miles (1,893 km²) that is home to more than 800,000 people. Together with Allentown and Easton, the Valley embraces the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ metropolitan area, including Lehigh, Northampton, and Carbon counties within Pennsylvania, and Warren County in the adjacent state of New Jersey. Smaller than Allentown but larger than Easton, Bethlehem is the Lehigh Valley’s second most populous city. In turn, this metropolitan area comprises Pennsylvania’s third-largest metropolitan area and the state’s largest and most populous contribution to the greater New York City metropolitan area.

The areas along the Delaware River and its tributaries in eastern Pennsylvania were long inhabited by indigenous peoples of various cultures. By the time of European contact, these areas were the historic territory of the Algonquian-speaking Lenape Nation, which had three main divisions, the Unami, Unalachtigo, and Munsee. They traded with the Dutch and then English colonists in the mid-Atlantic area. On Christmas Eve in 1741, David Nitschmann and Count Nicolaus von Zinzendorf, leading a small group of Moravians, founded the mission community of Bethlehem along the banks of the Monocacy Creek by the Lehigh River in the colony of Pennsylvania. They came to set up missionary communities among the Native Americans and unchurched German-speaking Christians. They named the settlement after the Biblical town Bethlehem, the birthplace of Jesus. “Count Zinzendorf said, ‘Brothers, how more fittingly could we call our new home than to name it in honor of the spot where the event we now commemorate took place. We will call this place Bethlehem.’ And so was Bethlehem named after the birthplace of the Man of Peace.'” Originally it was a typical Moravian Settlement Congregation, where the Church owned all the property. Until the 1850s, only members of the Moravian Church were permitted to lease land plots in Bethlehem. The historic Brethren’s House, Sisters’ House, Widows’ House and Gemeinhaus (Congregation House) with the Old Chapel are remnants of this period of communal living.

Bell House © Bestbudbrian/cc-by-sa-4.0 Brethren's House © Bestbudbrian/cc-by-sa-4.0 Colonial Industrial Quarter on the east bank of Monocacy Creek © 7mike5000/cc-by-sa-3.0 Fountain Hill Historic District - Delaware Avenue © Shuvaev/cc-by-sa-3.0 Main Street © Tim Kiser/cc-by-sa-2.5 Monocacy Creek © Tim Kiser/cc-by-sa-2.5
<
>
Colonial Industrial Quarter on the east bank of Monocacy Creek © 7mike5000/cc-by-sa-3.0
Bethlehem became a center of heavy industry and trade during the industrial revolution. The Bethlehem Steel Corporation (1857–2003), founded and based in Bethlehem, was once the second-largest steel producer in the United States, after Pittsburgh-based U.S. Steel. Bethlehem Steel was also one of the largest shipbuilding companies in the world and one of the most powerful symbols of American industrial manufacturing leadership. Bethlehem Steel began producing the first wide-flange structural shapes made in the United States and they pioneered the production of the now-ubiquitous “I-beam” used in construction of steel-framed buildings, including skyscrapers. It manufactured construction materials for numerous New York and other city skyscrapers, as well as for major bridges. The company became a major supplier of armor plate and ordnance products during World War I and World War II, including the manufacture of 1,100 warships. After roughly 140 years of metal production at its Bethlehem plant, Bethlehem Steel ceased operations there in 1995, in the face of overseas competition and declining demand.

On December 7, 1937, at a grand ceremony during the Great Depression, Mrs. Marion Brown Grace pulled a large switch to turn on the new Christmas street lights and a large wooden star. Mrs. Grace was the daughter of former South Bethlehem burgess, Charles F. Brown, and wife of Eugene Grace, President of Bethlehem Steel Corporation. Hundreds of citizens attended the ceremony and thousands more listened to the speeches and musical performances on the radio. This was the first year the Bethlehem Chamber of Commerce adopted the nickname “Christmas City, USA“. The Hotel Bethlehem was chosen for the ceremony because it was built on the site of the first building in Bethlehem – a two-room log house – where on Christmas Eve 1741, the original settlers conducted their evening worship. As their benefactor, Count Zinzendorf, observed the farm animals that shared the space and listened to them sing the hymn, “Not Jerusalem, But Lowly Bethlehem”, he proclaimed the name of the settlement to be Bethlehem. The people gathered at the 1937 ceremony heard the same words when the Bach Choir sang the old German hymn, “Jesu, Rufe Mich (Jesus, Call Thou Me)”, by Adam Drese. The Bethlehem Globe-Times paid for the large wooden star erected on the top of South Mountain, at a cost of $460. The original star was created with four wooden planks, overlapped to create an eight-point star, 60 feet high by 51 feet wide, mounted on two wooden poles, and lit by 150 50-watt light bulbs. The installation of the star was done by Pennsylvania Power and Light and the Bethlehem Water Department. The star was erected on the top of South Mountain, on property owned by the Water Department, located in Lower Saucon Township. In 1939, the wooden star was replaced with a star made of Bethlehem steel, at a cost of $5,000. It had eight rays, with the main horizontal ray 81 feet wide and the main vertical ray 53 feet high. In 1967, the current star, 91 feet high, was installed on the old steel frame and set in a concrete base 25 feet wide by 5 feet deep. Plexiglas was installed to protect the 250 50-watt light bulbs. In the summer of 2006, the city repaired the base. A crew of municipal electricians changes the bulbs every two years. Beginning in the mid-1990s, the star was lit from 4:30 p.m. until midnight, every day of the year. During World War II, from 1941 to 1945, none of the Christmas decorations in Bethlehem were lit. City officials said the lit star made “too good of an air raid target” and “during the global strife it didn’t seem right for the lights to be all lit up when our boys were out in the darkness fighting for us”. When lit, the star can be seen from as far as Wind Gap, 20 miles (32 km) away. The star has become an important symbol for Bethlehem.

Read more on Historic Bethlehem, Christmas City Bethlehem, Historic Hotel Bethlehem, Wikivoyage Bethlehem and Wikipedia Bethlehem (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The Norwegian Getaway

The Norwegian Getaway

[caption id="attachment_152633" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Tvabutzku1234[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Norwegian Getaway is a cruise ship of the Norwegian Cruise Line. It was built by Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany, and was delivered to its owner on January 10, 2014. At the time of its christening it was the world's ninth largest cruise ship with a passenger capacity of 3,969 and a crew of 1,640. Norwegian Getaway is the sister vessel of Norwegian Breakaway. The ship is based out of Miami and mostly sails seven-n...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Georgia - Tskhinvali

Theme Week Georgia - Tskhinvali

[caption id="attachment_216030" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tskhinvali balcony © Alaexis/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tskhinvali is a city in the independent region of South Ossetia, Georgia Transcaucasia and the capital of the Republic of South Ossetia (which has been recognised by the Russian Federation and four other UN member states only) and the former Soviet Georgian South Ossetian Autonomous Oblast. The city had been administratively divided into the region (mkhare) of Shida Kartli by Georgia after the rev...

[ read more ]

Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills

Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills

[caption id="attachment_206056" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Torsten Bolten/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rodeo Drive is a two-mile-long (3.2 km) street, primarily in Beverly Hills, California, with its southern segment in the City of Los Angeles. Its southern terminus is at Beverwil Drive, and its northern terminus is at its intersection with Sunset Boulevard in Beverly Hills. The name is most commonly used metonymically to refer to the three-block stretch of the street north of Wilshire Boulevard and south of L...

[ read more ]

Jewish Museum of Belgium in Brussels

Jewish Museum of Belgium in Brussels

[caption id="attachment_235026" align="aligncenter" width="578"] © flickr.com - Miguel Discart/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Jewish Museum of Belgium (French: Musée juif de Belgique, Dutch: Joods Museum van België) is a museum in the Sablon/Zavel neighbourhood of Brussels, Belgium, focusing on the history of the Jews in Belgium. The idea of founding a Jewish museum emerged in the late 1970s and was based on two motifs: the lack of a Jewish museum dealing with history and art, although Judaism has been pre...

[ read more ]

Moulin Rouge in Paris

Moulin Rouge in Paris

[caption id="attachment_220934" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Christine Zenino/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Moulin Rouge (French: lit. "Red Mill") is a cabaret in Paris, France. The original house, which burned down in 1915, was co-founded in 1889 by Charles Zidler and Joseph Oller, who also owned the Paris Olympia. Close to Montmartre in the Paris district of Pigalle on Boulevard de Clichy in the 18th arrondissement, it is marked by the red windmill on its roof. The closest métro station is Blanche. ...

[ read more ]

Providenciales in the Caribbean

Providenciales in the Caribbean

[caption id="attachment_231812" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Long Bay Beach © unsplash.com - Deanna Ritchie[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Providenciales (known locally as Provo) is an island in the northwest Caicos Islands, part of the Turks and Caicos Islands, a British Overseas Territory. The island has an area of 98 km² (38 sq mi) and a 2012 Census population of 23,769. Providenciales is the largest island in population, the third largest in area, and is home to a large majority of the population of the Turks and Caicos Isl...

[ read more ]

Milazzo on Sicily

Milazzo on Sicily

[caption id="attachment_233020" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Clemensfranz/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Milazzo is a town (comune) in the Metropolitan City of Messina, Sicily, southern Italy; it is the largest commune in the Metropolitan City after Messina and Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto. The town has a population of around 31,500 inhabitants. Milazzo borders with the municipalities of Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto, Merì and San Filippo del Mela. Milazzo is the point of reference of a vast territory, from Villafr...

[ read more ]

Tahiti in the Pacific Ocean

Tahiti in the Pacific Ocean

[caption id="attachment_233491" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Marina Taina in Pape'ete © Remi Jouan/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tahiti (previously also known as Otaheite) is the largest island of the Windward group of the Society Islands in French Polynesia. It is located in the central part of the Pacific Ocean and the nearest major landmass is Australia. Divided into two parts, Tahiti Nui (bigger, northwestern part) and Tahiti Iti (smaller, southeastern part), the island was formed from volcanic activity; it is ...

[ read more ]

Theme Week West Jerusalem - The Mamilla Mall

Theme Week West Jerusalem - The Mamilla Mall

[caption id="attachment_192361" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © flickr.com - Ana Paula Hirama/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mamilla Mall, also known as Alrov Mamilla Avenue, is an upscale shopping street and the only open-air mall in West Jerusalem. Located northwest of Jaffa Gate, directely at the City Line, the border between East Jerusalem and West Jerusalem, which has survived to this day due to the repeatedly annulled Jerusalem Law by the UN and part of the wider Green Line, the mall consists of a 2,000-foot (6...

[ read more ]

Miami Beach

Miami Beach

[caption id="attachment_152307" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Biscayne Island © Averette/cc-by-3.0-en[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Miami Beach is a coastal resort city in Miami-Dade County in Florida. It was incorporated on March 26, 1915. The municipality is located on a series of natural and man-made barrier islands between the Atlantic Ocean and Biscayne Bay, the latter which separates the Beach from Miami city proper. The neighborhood of South Beach, comprising the southernmost 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2) of Miami Beach, alo...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Parque Central de Manzanillo Carlos Manuel de Céspedes © Corina Robles/cc-by-sa-3.0
Manzanillo on Cuba

Manzanillo is a municipality and city in the Granma Province of Cuba. By population, it is the 14th largest Cuban...

© Michael Plutchok/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week West Jerusalem – The King David Hotel

The King David Hotel is a hotel in West Jerusalem. Opened in 1931, the hotel was built with locally quarried...

The Forbidden City - View from Jingshan Hill © Pixelflake/cc-by-sa-3.0
Forbidden City in China

The Forbidden City is a palace complex in central Beijing in China. The former Chinese imperial palace from the Ming...

Close