Grunewald in Berlin

Wednesday, 30 November 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Berlin
Reading Time:  3 minutes

Villa Konschewski am Hundekehlesee by Oskar Kaufmann © Lienhard Schulz/cc-by-sa-3.0

Villa Konschewski am Hundekehlesee by Oskar Kaufmann © Lienhard Schulz/cc-by-sa-3.0

Grunewald is a locality within the Berliner borough of Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. Famous for the homonymous forest, until 2001 administrative reform it was part of the former district of Wilmersdorf. The locality is situated in the western side of the city and is separated from Spandau by the river Havel. The Grunewald forest is 10 km away from Berlin. The name derives from the Grunewald hunting lodge of 1543, the oldest preserved castle in Berlin, which is, however, officially located on the grounds of the adjacent Dahlem locality. It was erected in an Early Renaissance style by order of Elector Joachim II Hector of Brandenburg and named Zum Gruenen Wald. A corduroy road leading from the Berlin Stadtschloss to the lodge was laid out, which later would be known as the Kurfürstendamm boulevard. Today, Grunewald is one of the most prestigious and expensive residential areas in Berlin.

The neighbourhood developed out of a so-called “mansion colony” at the western end of the Kurfürstendamm. Promoted by Otto von Bismarck the upper class of Berlin from 1880 on discovered Grunewald as an attractive site for living, which was incorporated into Greater Berlin in 1920. Today, the social structure of Grunewald is still influenced by these origins. The Rot-Weiss Tennis Club, home of the WTA Tour German Open, has been located in the district since 1897.

Villa Harteneck © Axel Mauruszat Grunewaldturm © Times/cc-by-sa-3.0 Löwenpalais by Bernhard Sehring © A.Savin/cc-by-sa-3.0 Embassy of Qatar © Mutter Erde Gleis 17 memorial © Axel Mauruszat Villa Heidemann by Alfred Breslauer and Paul Salinger, today the Embassy of Kuwait © Mutter Erde Villa Konschewski am Hundekehlesee by Oskar Kaufmann © Lienhard Schulz/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Villa Heidemann by Alfred Breslauer and Paul Salinger, today the Embassy of Kuwait © Mutter Erde
On June 24, 1922 Foreign Minister of Germany Walther Rathenau was assassinated by ultra-nationalist radicals of the Organisation Consul in a curve of the main street called Koenigsallee. A memorial stone marks the scene of the crime. Since 1981 the Grunewald district is the home of the Berlin Institute for Advanced Study. It also houses the embassies of Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Qatar, Kuwait, Laos, Luxembourg, the Republic of Macedonia, Poland, Serbia and Turkey. Within the Grunewald forest is the artificial Teufelsberg hill, once a listening station of the US National Security Agency. At the shore of the Havel the Grunewaldturm, built by Franz Heinrich Schwechten in 1898, offers panoramic views of the Havelland region.

Between October 1941 and February 1945 more than 50,000 Jews were deported by Nazis to extermination camps from the Grunewald freight railway station and murdered. Nowadays, memorials from the district of Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf and the Deutsche Bahn (“Gleis 17”) commemorate this dark spot in Grunewald’s history. The area is accessible by the Berlin-Grunewald station.

Read more on Wikipedia Berlin-Grunewald (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

San Casciano in Val di Pesa in Tuscany

San Casciano in Val di Pesa in Tuscany

[caption id="attachment_233104" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Vignaccia76/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]San Casciano in Val di Pesa is a comune (municipality) in the Metropolitan City of Florence in the Italian region Tuscany, located about 15 kilometres (9 mi) southwest of Florence. San Casciano in Val di Pesa borders the following municipalities; Greve in Chianti, Impruneta, Montespertoli, Scandicci and Tavarnelle Val di Pesa. San Casciano is highly renowned for the production of wine and olive oil. The pri...

[ read more ]

The water town Fürstenberg on the Havel

The water town Fürstenberg on the Havel

[caption id="attachment_151806" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Brandenburger Strasse with Havel church bell tower © Christopher Voitus/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fürstenberg is a town in the Oberhavel district, in Brandenburg, Germany. Until 1950, Fürstenberg was part of the former Grand Duchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz. Fürstenberg is situated on the River Havel, 21 kilometres (13 mi) south of Neustrelitz, and 75 kilometres (47 mi) north of Berlin. The city lies at the southern edge of the Mecklenburg Lak...

[ read more ]

Scicli on Sicily

Scicli on Sicily

[caption id="attachment_232416" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © trolvag/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Scicli is a town and municipality in the Province of Ragusa in the south east of Sicily, southern Italy. It is 25 kilometres (16 mi) from Ragusa, and 188 kilometres (117 mi) from Palermo, and has a population (2017) of 27,051. Alongside seven other cities in the Val di Noto, it has been listed as one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites. The municipality borders with Modica and Ragusa. The economy of Scicli is mostly ag...

[ read more ]

Mount Hermon

Mount Hermon

[caption id="attachment_221055" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lake Ram and Mount Hermon © Idobi/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Mount Hermon is a mountain cluster constituting the southern end of the Anti-Lebanon mountain range. Its summit straddles the border between Syria and Lebanon and, at 2,814 m (9,232 ft) above sea level, is the highest point in Syria and is therefore in two Middle East conflict zones. On the top, in the United Nations buffer zone between Syrian and Israeli-occupied territories, is the highest ...

[ read more ]

The sail training ship Sagres III

The sail training ship Sagres III

[caption id="attachment_150648" align="aligncenter" width="408"] N.R.P. Sagres on Tejo© Lopo Pizarro - www.lopo.pt/cc-by-2.5[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The NRP Sagres is a tall ship and sail training ship of the Portuguese Navy since 1961. As the third ship with this name of the historical important city of ...

[ read more ]

The European Library

The European Library

[caption id="attachment_201415" align="aligncenter" width="399"] © The European Library[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The European Library is an Internet service that allows access to the resources of 49 European national libraries and an increasing number of research libraries. Searching is free and delivers metadata records as well as digital objects, mostly free of charge. The objects come from institutions located in countries which are members of the Council of Europe and range from catalogue records to full-text books, magazi...

[ read more ]

Del Mar in California

Del Mar in California

[caption id="attachment_192578" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Annual San Diego County Fair © Jessicaowenphotos/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Del Mar is a beach city in San Diego County, California. Del Mar is Spanish for "of the sea" or "by the sea," which reflects its location on the coast of the Pacific Ocean. Del Mar was named after the famous poem The fight on Paseo Del Mar. The Del Mar Horse Races are hosted on the Del Mar racetrack every summer. Del Mar is located between Los Angeles and San Diego. In ...

[ read more ]

Perros-Guirec in Brittany

Perros-Guirec in Brittany

[caption id="attachment_229414" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Hortensia, one of the symbols of Brittany at the local market © Marc Schuelper/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Perros-Guirec is a commune in the Côtes-d'Armor department in Brittany in northwestern France. It has been a seaside resort since the end of the 19th century and is located on the famous Côte de Granit Rose. Inhabitants of Perros-Guirec are called Perrosiens in French. Perros-Guirec was long attended by men of letters and artists, for ins...

[ read more ]

The sail training ship Irving Johnson

The sail training ship Irving Johnson

[caption id="attachment_183077" align="aligncenter" width="590"] 2010 Festival of Sail © flickr.com - Port of San Diego/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The twin brigantines Irving Johnson and Exy Johnson are the flagships of the Los Angeles Maritime Institute's (LAMI) TopSail Youth Program, a non-profit organization that helps at-risk youth learn discipline and teamwork through sailing. They join LAMI's topsail schooners the Swift of Ipswich and the Bill of Rights. The boats are named for sail training pioneers Irving and E...

[ read more ]

Potager du roi in Versailles

Potager du roi in Versailles

[caption id="attachment_235733" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Grand Bassin © Djampa/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Potager du roi (Kitchen Garden of the King), near the Palace of Versailles, produced fresh vegetables and fruits for the table of the court of Louis XIV. It was created between 1678 and 1683 by Jean-Baptiste de La Quintinie, the director of the royal fruit and vegetable gardens. Today it is run by the École nationale supérieure du paysage, the grande école for landscape architects. It is officiall...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
Rotunda © Andrea Serio/cc-by-sa-3.0
Stockholm Public Library

Stockholm Public Library (Swedish: Stockholms stadsbibliotek or Stadsbiblioteket) is a library building in Stockholm, designed by Swedish architect Gunnar Asplund,...

National Museum of Fine Arts © Carlos yo/cc-by-sa-4.0
Theme Week Chile – Santiago de Chile

Santiago, also known as Santiago de Chile, is the capital and largest city of Chile. It is also the center...

Plaza Echaurren © Hemorag/cc-by-sa-3.0
Theme Week Chile – Valparaíso

Valparaíso is a major city, seaport, and educational center in the county or commune of Valparaíso. Greater Valparaíso is the...

Close