Berlin-Dahlem

Saturday, 26 November 2022 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Berlin
Reading Time:  4 minutes

Free University of Berlin - Rost- und Silberlaube complex © Unify~commonswiki/cc-by-sa-3.0

Free University of Berlin – Rost- und Silberlaube complex © Unify~commonswiki/cc-by-sa-3.0

Dahlem is a locality of the Steglitz-Zehlendorf borough in southwestern Berlin. Until Berlin’s 2001 administrative reform it was a part of the former borough of Zehlendorf. It is located between the mansion settlements of Grunewald and Lichterfelde West. Dahlem is one of the most affluent parts of the city and a center for academic research. It is home to the Freie Universität Berlin, with its architecturally significant Philological Library (“The Brain”). Several other research institutions and museums, as well as parts of the Grunewald forest with its renaissance hunting lodge, are located in Dahlem. The U3 line of the Berlin U-Bahn system connects Dahlem to central Berlin.

The first written account of Dahlem dates to the year 1275. The history of the village is connected to the Dahlem Demesne (Domäne Dahlem) first mentioned in 1450. Its estates were sold to the state of Prussia in 1841 and developed by dividing it into lots for building villas and mansions, similar to the development of the older mansion settlements of Lichterfelde West and Grunewald. The Demesne buildings today house a working farm and an agricultural open-air museum. In 1920 the village was amalgamated into Greater Berlin. From 1931 on Martin Niemöller, a leader of the Confessing Church, was pastor of the United Protestant Sankt-Annen-Kirche until he was arrested by the Nazis in 1937.

Dahlem Manor at Domäne Dahlem © Lotse/cc-by-sa-3.0 Free University of Berlin - Rost- und Silberlaube complex © Unify~commonswiki/cc-by-sa-3.0 Podbielskiallee subway station - Entry © DXR/cc-by-sa-3.0 Villa Emil von Stauß © Kresspahl/cc-by-sa-4.0 Archive of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft © Lajmmoore/cc-by-sa-4.0 Dahlem Dorf subway station - Entry © KUI/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Free University of Berlin - Rost- und Silberlaube complex © Unify~commonswiki/cc-by-sa-3.0
During the Cold War Dahlem belonged to the American Sector of West Berlin. From 1945 to 1991 the seat of the Allied Kommandatura of Berlin was in Dahlem on Kaiserswerther Straße. Today it serves as the office for the president of the local university. Until 1994, the headquarters of the United States Army Berlin command and the Berlin Brigade were located on Clayallee street. Parts of the building are still used by the Embassy of the United States in Berlin. The former library and Outpost theater across the street today house the Allied Museum. Because many of Berlin’s artistic, cultural, and educational institutions were located in the city’s historical center in the former eastern part of Berlin, West Berlin authorities established many duplicates in Dahlem – above all the Freie Universität Berlin (literally the “Free University Berlin”) in 1948, which was established by students and scholars as an antipole to the increasingly communist “Universität Unter den Linden“. The newly founded university should uphold the traditional values of academic freedom and the educational ideal proposed by Wilhelm von Humboldt.

Rudi Dutschke, spokesman of the German student movement in the 1960s, is buried at the cemetery of the Sankt-Annen-Kirche.

Read more on berlin.de – Dahlem, VisitBerlin.de – Domäne Dahlem – Country estate and museum and Wikipedia Dahlem (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Global Passport Power Rank - Travel Risk Map - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The St George Wharf Tower in London

The St George Wharf Tower in London

[caption id="attachment_153883" align="aligncenter" width="590"] July 2013 © Will Fox/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]St George Wharf Tower, also known as the Vauxhall Tower or The Tower, is a residential skyscraper in Vauxhall, in London Borough of Lambeth on River Thames, part of the St George Wharf development. At 181 metres (594 ft) tall with 50 storeys, it is the tallest solely residential building in the UK. The Tower's form has been designed to be elegant and un-gimmicky. The unique floor plan concept is b...

[ read more ]

The German Avenue Road

The German Avenue Road

[caption id="attachment_4844" align="aligncenter" width="402" caption="© ADAC e.V."][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The German Avenue Road is holiday route, around 2,900 kilometres long, that runs through the whole of Germany from the Baltic Sea to Lake Constance. It is thus Germany's longest holiday route. The project is supported by the "German Avenue Route Association" (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Deutsche Alleenstraße), whose members are the motoring organisation, ADAC, the German Tourism Association, the German Forest Conservation Soc...

[ read more ]

Mirabella V, the largest single-masted sailing yacht in the world

Mirabella V, the largest single-masted sailing yacht in the world

[caption id="attachment_153665" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © mirabellayachts.com[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]At an estimated cost of over US$ 50million, she is the largest single-masted yacht ever built and became a reality in May 2004. Mirabella V was launched in November of 2003 and her mast was stepped six weeks later. She proceeded to the Mediterranean in June and completed five weeks charter in her first season. Mirabella V is one of a fleet of super-yachts owned by former Chairman and CEO of the Avis car rental compan...

[ read more ]

Grassmarket in Edinburgh

Grassmarket in Edinburgh

[caption id="attachment_218829" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pubs at Grassmarket © Reinhold Möller/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Grassmarket is a historic market place and an event space in the Old Town (UNESCO World Heritage Site) of Edinburgh, Scotland. In relation to the rest of the city it lies in a hollow, well below surrounding ground levels. The Grassmarket is located directly below Edinburgh Castle and forms part of one of the main east-west vehicle arteries through the city centre. It adjoins the Cowg...

[ read more ]

Coria in Extremadura

Coria in Extremadura

[caption id="attachment_224670" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Plaza de San Pedro © Zarateman/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Coria is a Spanish municipality in the province of Cáceres, Extremadura, formed by the city of the same name and the towns of Puebla de Argeme and Rincón del Obispo. The whole municipality has 12,500 inhabitants and a population density of 120 inhabitants/km², which makes this city the capital of Vegas de Alagón and the fourth largest city in the province of Cáceres. The largest mun...

[ read more ]

The island of Lefkada in the Ionian Sea

The island of Lefkada in the Ionian Sea

[caption id="attachment_153484" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lefkada © ERWEH/cc-by-sa-2.0-de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lefkada is a Greek island in the Ionian Sea on the west coast of Greece, connected to the mainland by a long causeway and floating bridge. The principal town of the island and seat of the municipality is Lefkada (city). It is situated on the northern part of the island, approximately 20 minutes by automobile away from Aktion National Airport. The island is part of the regional unit of Lefkada. The f...

[ read more ]

Halles de Dijon

Halles de Dijon

[caption id="attachment_238231" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Arnaud 25/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The central halls of Dijon are market halls in cast-iron architecture built from 1873 to 1875 in Dijon, Côte-d'Or, in Burgundy-Franche-Comté, France. They have been listed as historic monuments since 1975. The halls of Dijon are surrounded by numerous restaurants and cafés. The municipality of Dijon decided in 1868 to build a covered market. The plans were drawn up by the architect of the city of Dijo...

[ read more ]

Le Cannet on the French Riviera

Le Cannet on the French Riviera

[caption id="attachment_235468" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Rue Saint-Sauveur © Jpchevreau/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Le Cannet is a commune of the Alpes-Maritimes department in southeastern France. Le Cannet was part of Cannes until 1778, when it was made a separate commune. Le Cannet is located in the north of Cannes, on the French Riviera, approximately 2 kilometers from the Mediterranean Sea. The two cities form a single urban area. [gallery size="large" gss="1" ids="235464,235465,235466,235467,235...

[ read more ]

The Malt Whisky Trail

The Malt Whisky Trail

[caption id="attachment_152524" align="aligncenter" width="364"] © schottlandportal.de[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Whisky distilleries were founded in an environment rich in the highest quality ingredients: pure, clear spring water and abundant supplies of fragrant golden barley. On the whisky trail of Speyside, you'll find more than half of Scotland's malt whisky distilleries, each with its own warm welcome and an invitation to see, smell, taste and absorb the magic of whisky. Each whisky distillery on the distillery tou...

[ read more ]

Clichy, residence of the Merovingian

Clichy, residence of the Merovingian

[caption id="attachment_153555" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pavillon Vendôme © Serein/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Clichy (sometimes unofficially Clichy-la-Garenne) is a commune in the northwestern suburbs of Paris. It is located 6.4 km (4.0 mi) from the center of Paris. Clichy was the capital of the Merovingians during the rule of Dagobert I. The headquarters of the L'Oréal Group, the world's largest company in cosmetics and beauty, Bic, one of the biggest pen producers in the world, and Sony France, a...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© Zariquiegui
Theme Week Navarre – Valle de Egüés

Egüés (Spanish: Valle de Egüés, Basque: Eguesibar) is a municipality of Navarre, Spain, in the metropolitan area of Pamplona. Its...

Royal Marine barracks in former Royal Dockland in Georgetown © JERRYE & ROY KLOTZ MD/cc-by-sa-3.0
Ascension Island

Ascension Island is an isolated volcanic island, 7°56′ south of the Equator in the South Atlantic Ocean. It is about...

© Mattana/cc-by-2.0
Theme Week Navarre – Estella-Lizarra

Estella (Spanish) or Lizarra (Basque) is a town located in the autonomous community of Navarre, in northern Spain. It lies...

Schließen