Berlaymont building, the headquarters of the European Commission

Wednesday, 1 April 2020 - 12:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: European Union, General, House of the Month

© flickr.com - Amio Cajander/cc-by-sa-2.0

© flickr.com – Amio Cajander/cc-by-sa-2.0

The Berlaymont is an office building in Brussels, Belgium, which houses the headquarters of the European Commission, the executive branch of the European Union (EU). The structure is located at Schuman roundabout at Wetstraat 200 Rue de la Loi, in what is known as the “European Quarter“. The unique form of the Berlaymont’s architecture is used in the European Commission’s official emblem.

The building has housed the European Commission since its construction, and has become a symbol of the Commission (and its name a metonym for the Commission) and the European presence in Brussels. The Commission itself is spread over some 60-odd buildings, but the Berlaymont is the Commission’s headquarters, being the seat of the President of the European Commission and its College of Commissioners.

© Zinneke/cc-by-sa-1.0 © flickr.com - Andersen Pecorone/cc-by-2.0 © flickr.com - Amio Cajander/cc-by-sa-2.0 Main entrance © JLogan/cc-by-3.0 Press Room © JLogan/cc-by-sa-3.0 European Commission logo inspired by the shape of the Berlaymont building © europa.eu
<
>
European Commission logo inspired by the shape of the Berlaymont building © europa.eu
The following Directorates-General (departments) are also based in the Berlaymont: Human Resources and Security (HR), European Political Strategy Centre, formerly known as Bureau of European Policy Advisers (BEPA), Communication (COMM), Brussels Office of Infrastructure and Logistics (OIB), Secretariat-General (SG) and the Legal Service (SJ).

The office of the President and the Commission boardroom are on the 13th floor (occupied by the President in defiance of superstition surrounding the number), together with the meeting room of the Hebdo and the restaurant La Convivialité.

Read more on Wikipedia Berlaymont building. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Overview EU series

White_Paper_on_the_future_of_Europe


47244656633_en





Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Glückstadt on the Elbe

Glückstadt on the Elbe

[caption id="attachment_154370" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Inner Harbour © Nightflyer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Glückstadt is a town in the Steinburg district of Schleswig-Holstein. It is located on the right bank of the Lower Elbe at the confluence of the small Rhin river, about 45 km (28 mi) northwest of Altona. Glückstadt is part of the Hamburg Metropolitan Region. In 1845 Glückstadt station opened on the Marsh Railway line from Elmshorn, which in 1857 was continued to Itzehoe. Today trains run ...

[ read more ]

Santa Maria di Castellabate in Southern Italy

Santa Maria di Castellabate in Southern Italy

[caption id="attachment_160741" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Santa Maria di Castellabate Panorama © Matthias Holländer[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Santa Maria di Castellabate is a frazione of Castellabate, a commune in the province of Salerno, southern Italy. It is the largest frazione of its comune and of the province. It is also the seat of the town hall. The town was known in the 18th century as "Isca delle Chitarre", its original area and now the old town. The downtown is extended by two squares, Piazza Matarazzo...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Uzbekistan - Fergana

Theme Week Uzbekistan - Fergana

[caption id="attachment_208687" align="aligncenter" width="590"] 1906 Russian-era building © flickr.com - Adam Jones/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Fergana, or Ferghana, is the capital of Fergana Region in eastern Uzbekistan. Fergana is about 420 km east of Tashkent, about 75 km west of Andijan, and less than 20 km from the Kyrgyzstan border. While the area has been populated for thousands of years, the modern city was founded in 1876. The city of Fergana was founded in 1876 as a garrison town and colonial appen...

[ read more ]

Turin, capital of the Alps

Turin, capital of the Alps

[caption id="attachment_153174" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Turin Collage © DanieleDF1995[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Turin is a city and major business and cultural centre in northern Italy, capital of the Piedmont region, located mainly on the left bank of the Po River surrounded by the Alpine arch. The population of the city proper is 909,193 while the population of the urban area is estimated by Eurostat to be 1.7 million inhabitants; the Turin metropolitan area is estimated by OECD to have a population of 2.2 million. ...

[ read more ]

Quattro Canti in Palermo

Quattro Canti in Palermo

[caption id="attachment_25778" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Piazza Quattro Canti © flickr.com - Michele Ursino/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Quattro Canti, officially known as Piazza Vigliena, is a Baroque square in Palermo on Sicily in southern Italy. It was laid out on the orders of the Viceroys between 1608-1620 by Giulio Lasso at the crossing of the two principal streets in Palermo, the Via Maqueda and the Corso Vittorio Emanuele.[gallery size="medium" gss="1" ids="25780,25778,25779"]The piazza is octag...

[ read more ]

Wholesale Market Munich, the third biggest wholesale market in Europe

Wholesale Market Munich, the third biggest wholesale market in Europe

[caption id="attachment_25845" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Dominik Hundhammer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Großmarkthalle München (Wholesale Market Munich) is an international wholesale market located in the Munich borough of Sendling. In an area of 310,000 m², 270 importing companies and wholesalers offer 140 different product classes from 83 countries with a sales volume of more than 750 million Euro. Additionally there are 65 horticultural producers, 45 florists and 15 wholesalers of miscellaneous lin...

[ read more ]

Riga und Umeå, Kulturhauptstädte Europas 2014

Riga und Umeå, Kulturhauptstädte Europas 2014

[caption id="attachment_152223" align="aligncenter" width="561"] © riga2014.org[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"] THE CITY OF RIGA Riga is the capital and largest city of Latvia. With 700,000 inhabitants, Riga is the largest city of the Baltic states and home to more than one third of Latvia's population. The city is an important seaport and a major industrial, commercial, cultural and financial centre of the Baltic region. The city lies on the Gulf of Riga, at the mouth of the Daugava. Riga was founded in 1201 and is a former Hanse...

[ read more ]

Königslutter in the Nature Park Elm-Lappwald

Königslutter in the Nature Park Elm-Lappwald

[caption id="attachment_160993" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Monastry church of Königslutter © ArtMechanic/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Königslutter am Elm is a town in the district of Helmstedt in Lower Saxony. It is located on the northeastern slopes of the Elm hill range, within the Elm-Lappwald Nature Park, about 23 km (14 mi) east of Brunswick, 15 km (9.3 mi) west of the district capital Helmstedt, and 20 km (12 mi) south of Wolfsburg. A village called Lûtere in the Duchy of Saxony was first mentio...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Grotto of Annunciation © Ramessos/cc-by-sa-3.0
Nazareth, home town of Jesus

Nazareth is the largest city in the Northern District of Israel. Nazareth is known as "the Arab capital of Israel"....

The European Union: Coronavirus Pandemic

(Latest update: 10 July 2020) Over the coming months, the world will now experience not only how individual states will...

Clock Tower © Concierge.2C/cc-by-sa-3.0
Old Port of Montreal

The Old Port of Montreal (Vieux-Port de Montréal) is the historic port of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Located in Old Montreal,...

Schließen