Ben-Gurion House in Tel Aviv

Monday, 8 August 2022 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Museums, Exhibitions, Union for the Mediterranean
Reading Time:  4 minutes

© Gideon.shapira/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Gideon.shapira/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Ben-Gurion House is a historic house museum in Tel Aviv, which served as the family home of pre-State Zionist leader and then first Defense and Prime Minister of Israel, David Ben-Gurion, between 1931 and 1953. Until his death in 1973 it continued serving as an additional residence, along with two others, one private – “Ben-Gurion’s hut” at Kibbutz Sde Boker in the Negev (known as his desert home), and the official residence as Prime Minister of Israel during his multiple terms as head of government. The latter, known as Julius Jacobs House, is located in Rehavia, West Jerusalem. Ben-Gurion House is located at 17, Ben-Gurion Boulevard in northern Tel Aviv.

The house was built in 1930–1931, and David Ben-Gurion and his family lived there from June 1931 until 1953, when they moved to a small wooden house in Kibbutz Sde-Boker in the Negev desert, after which they returned to the Tel Aviv house only part of each year. The house was built on Jewish National Fund (JNF) land, when the first shechunat ha-po’alim (lit. workers neighborhood, i.e. a workers housing project) was established there in 1930–31, as Shechunat HaPo’alim Aleph, at the junction of Jewish National Fund Boulevard and Lassalle Street. The Jewish National Fund (Hebrew: Keren Kayemet Le’Israel) Boulevard was renamed to Ben-Gurion Boulevard after the politician’s death in 1973. The house was designed by engineer David Tuvia, and as customary in “workers neighborhoods” in Israel at the time, the house included only one room and was worth 350 British Mandate pounds. The Ben-Gurion family asked for permission to build a second floor, which was granted. The house was expanded in 1946, and renovated in 1960.

Conference Room © Gabi Davis/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Gabi Davis/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Gideon.shapira/cc-by-sa-3.0 Library © Limor Noah/cc-by-sa-4.0 Library © Talmoryair/cc-by-3.0 © Talmoryair/cc-by-3.0
<
>
Conference Room © Gabi Davis/cc-by-sa-4.0
In his will Ben-Gurion requested to bequest the house to the State of Israel, as is stated:

“I hereby bequeath to the State of Israel my house in Tel Aviv”
— Ben-Gurion’s will

Three years after Ben-Gurion died, the Ben-Gurion law 1977 was enacted, which stipulates that the house will be open to the public, and will serve as a museum in memory of Ben-Gurion and as a commemoration of his legacy, as well “as a Reading, Reviewing and Research center“, as Ben-Gurion himself requested. The house was opened to the public on 29 November 1974, and as of today, guided tours and symposiums are conducted in the house, with the purpose of depicting Ben-Gurion’s character and life work as a leader. In addition, memorabilia, historical documents, and Ben-Gurion’s titles awarded to him when he was prime minister are exhibited in the house. The Boulevard in which the house is situated, was called at the time Ben-Gurion lived there, Keren Kayemet Boulevard (“Jewish National Fund Boulevard”), and was renamed Ben-Gurion Boulevard after Ben-Gurion died. The name Keren Kayemet Boulevard was then moved to a central street within a northern Tel Aviv neighborhood, Ever Ha-Yarkon suburb, and is still named after the JNF today.

Read more on Ben-Gurion House, GemsInIsrael.com – Beit Ben-Gurion and Wikipedia Ben-Gurion House (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com - Johns Hopkins University & Medicine - Coronavirus Resource Center - Global Passport Power Rank - Democracy Index - GDP according to IMF, UN, and World Bank - Global Competitiveness Report - Corruption Perceptions Index - Press Freedom Index - World Justice Project - Rule of Law Index - UN Human Development Index - Global Peace Index - Travel & Tourism Competitiveness Index). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Castellon de la Plana on the Orange Tree Coast

Castellon de la Plana on the Orange Tree Coast

[caption id="attachment_151741" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Casa Alcon and Casa de les Cigonyes on Independence Square © Joanbanjo/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Castellón de la Plana is the capital city of the Province of Castelló, in the Valencian Community, in the east of the Iberian Peninsula, on the Costa del Azahar (Orange Tree Coast) by the Mediterranean Sea. The population is at 174,000. The mountain range known as Desert de les Palmes rises inland north of the town. During the Middle Ages, the ci...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Chateaux of the Loire Valley

Theme Week Chateaux of the Loire Valley

[caption id="attachment_153148" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Châteaux of the Loire Valley © Maximilian Dörrbecker[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Loire Valley (French: Vallée de la Loire), spanning 280 kilometres (170 mi), is located in the middle stretch of the Loire River in central France. It comprises an area of approximately 800 square kilometres (310 sq mi). It is referred to as the Cradle of the French Language, and the Garden of France due to the abundance of vineyards, fruit orchards, artichoke, asparagus and cher...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Styria - Köflach

Theme Week Styria - Köflach

[caption id="attachment_153214" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Holy Andreas Church © Isiwal/cc-by-sa-3.0-at[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Köflach is a small city in the district of Voitsberg in Styria, at the foot of the Stubalpe mountain. The town has a population of roughly 10,000 and contains a federal stud in the village of Piber that supplies the Lipizzaner horses to the famous Spanish Riding School in Vienna. Traditionally known for its coal mining, Köflach is slowly changing from an industrial town to a center of...

[ read more ]

The Ammersee in Bavaria

The Ammersee in Bavaria

[caption id="attachment_153422" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sunset at Lake Ammer in winter © Thomas Then/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ammersee (English: Lake Ammer) is a Zungenbecken lake in Upper Bavaria, southwest of Munich between the towns of Herrsching and Dießen am Ammersee. With a surface area of approximately 47 square kilometres (18 sq mi), it is the sixth largest lake in Germany. The lake is at an elevation of 520 metres (1,710 ft), and has a maximum depth of 81 metres (266 ft). Like other Bavarian lakes,...

[ read more ]

Portrait: Ruth Bader Ginsburg, feminist and Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States

Portrait: Ruth Bader Ginsburg, feminist and Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States

[caption id="attachment_214609" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Chief Justice William Rehnquist swearing in Ginsburg as an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, as her husband Martin Ginsburg and President Clinton watch © U.S. National Archives and Records Administration - Ralph Alswang[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Joan Ruth Bader Ginsburg was an American jurist who was an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States from 1993 until her death in 2020. She was nominated by President Bill Clinton and was generally ...

[ read more ]

Esbjerg, the fifth largest city in Denmark

Esbjerg, the fifth largest city in Denmark

[caption id="attachment_152857" align="aligncenter" width="531"] Central Square with old Town Hall and city founder King Christian IX statue © Cynborg[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Esbjerg is a seaport on the west coast of the Jutland peninsula in southwest Denmark, the main town of Esbjerg Municipality, the site of its municipal council and with a population of 72,000 the fifth largest city in Denmark, and the largest in west Jutland. Its municipality has a population of 115,184. The city is situated on the southwestern coast of D...

[ read more ]

The Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg

The Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg

[caption id="attachment_25947" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Winter Palace at night © Robert Breuer/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The State Hermitage is a museum of art and culture in Saint Petersburg. One of the largest and oldest museums in the world, it was founded in 1764 by Catherine the Great and has been open to the public since 1852. Its collections, of which only a small part is on permanent display, comprise over three million items, including the largest collection of paintings in the world. Beside the Lo...

[ read more ]

Monticello in Virginia

Monticello in Virginia

[caption id="attachment_25744" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Monticello © Sudhindra/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Monticello was the primary plantation of Thomas Jefferson, the third President of the United States, who, after inheriting quite a large amount of land from his father, started building Monticello when he was twenty-six years old. Located just outside Charlottesville, Virginia, in the Piedmont region, the plantation was originally 5,000 acres (2,000 ha), with extensive cultivation of tobacco and mixed cr...

[ read more ]

Lyon, city of the palate

Lyon, city of the palate

[caption id="attachment_148975" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lyon Panorama © Elwood J. Blues[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lyon is a city in east-central France in the Rhône-Alpes region. With 480,000 inhabitants Lyon is the third biggest city after Paris and Marseille. Economically, Lyon is a major centre for banking and the chemical, pharmaceutical, and biotech industries. The city contains a significant software industry with a particular focus on video games, and has focussed in recent years on a growing local start-up sec...

[ read more ]

Felixstowe, the largest container port in the UK

Felixstowe, the largest container port in the UK

[caption id="attachment_160975" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Felixstowe Old Train Station, today housing several stores and the local community radio station © Deben Dave/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Felixstowe is a seaside town on the North Sea coast of Suffolk. The town gives its name to the nearby Port of Felixstowe, which is the largest container port in the United Kingdom. The town is situated across the estuary of the River Orwell and the River Stour from Harwich in Essex. It continued as a linchpin ...

[ read more ]

Return to TopReturn to Top
© flickr.com - Filip Maljković/cc-by-sa-2.0
Lipstick Building in New York City

The Lipstick Building, also known as 885 Third Avenue and 53rd at Third, is a 453-foot (138 meter) tall skyscraper...

© flickr.com - Adam Moss/cc-by-sa-2.0
National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and Museum in Milwaukee

National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and Museum is a museum devoted to bobblehead dolls. It is located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin,...

view from Mount Roberts, Juneau, USA © Barek
The Diamond Princess

Diamond Princess is a British-registered cruise ship owned and operated by Princess Cruises. She began operation in March 2004 and...

Schließen