Bahnhof St Pancras in London

Sunday, 1 February 2015 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, House of the Month, London

Model of the extended St Pancras station (left) and Kings Cross station (right) © Andrew Dunn - www.andrewdunnphoto.com/cc-by-sa-2.0

Model of the extended St Pancras station (left) and Kings Cross station (right) © Andrew Dunn – www.andrewdunnphoto.com/cc-by-sa-2.0

St Pancras railway station, also known as London St Pancras and since 2007 as St Pancras International, is a central London railway terminus and Grade I listed building located on Euston Road in the St Pancras area of the London Borough of Camden. It stands between the British Library, King’s Cross station and the Regent’s Canal and is a structure widely known for its Victorian architecture. It was opened in 1868 by the Midland Railway as the southern terminus of its mainline which connected London with the East Midlands and Yorkshire. When it opened, the arched Barlow train shed was the largest single-span roof in the world.

After escaping planned demolition in the 1960s, the complex was renovated and expanded from 2001 to 2007 at a cost of £800 million with a ceremony attended by Queen Elizabeth II and extensive publicity introducing it as a public space. A security-sealed terminal area was constructed for Eurostar services to continental Europe via High Speed 1 and the Channel Tunnel, with platforms for domestic trains to the north and south-east of England. The restored station has 15 platforms, a shopping centre and a bus station, and is served by London Underground‘s King’s Cross St. Pancras station. St Pancras is owned by London and Continental Railways, along with the adjacent urban regeneration area known as King’s Cross Central, and is one of 19 stations managed by Network Rail.

The St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel occupies parts of the original Midland Grand Hotel, including the main public rooms, together with a new bedroom wing on the western side of the Barlow train shed. The upper levels of the original building have been redeveloped as apartments by the Manhattan Loft Corporation. The hotel held its grand opening on 5 May 2011, exactly 138 years after its original opening in 1873.

St Pancras Station © Andrew Nash/cc-by-sa-2.0 East side entrance © Mike Peel - www.mikepeel .net/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Przemysław Sakrajda/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Mark Ahsmann/cc-by-sa-3.0 St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel and former Midland Grand Hotel - Hotel reception area © Dhowes9/cc-by-sa-3.0 St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel and former Midland Grand Hotel © Dhowes9/cc-by-sa-3.0 Eurostar trains © Fraselpantz Paul Day's sculpture 'The Meeting Place' © Edwardx/cc-by-sa-3.0 Model of the extended St Pancras station (left) and Kings Cross station (right) © Andrew Dunn - www.andrewdunnphoto.com/cc-by-sa-2.0
<
>
Model of the extended St Pancras station (left) and Kings Cross station (right) © Andrew Dunn - www.andrewdunnphoto.com/cc-by-sa-2.0
St Pancras contains four groups of platforms on two levels, separated by the main concourse at ground level. The below-surface group contains through platforms A and B, and the upper level has three groups of terminal platforms: domestic platforms 1–4 and 11–13 on each side of international platforms 5–10. Platforms A, B and 1–4 connect to the Midland Main Line one kilometre north of the station, while platforms 5–13 lead to High Speed 1; there is no connection between the two lines, except for a maintenance siding outside the station. The longer international platforms, used by Eurostar, extend a considerable distance southwards into Barlow’s train shed, whilst the other platforms terminate at the southern end of the 2005 extension. The international platforms do not occupy the full width of the Barlow train shed, and sections of the floor area have been opened up to provide natural light to the new ground-level concourse below. Arrival and departure lounges lie below these platforms, and are reached from the international concourse. The concourse, known as The Arcade, was fashioned from the original station undercroft and runs the length of the Barlow train shed to the western side of the arrival and departure lounges. The southern end of the international concourse links to the western ticket hall of King’s Cross St Pancras tube station. The domestic platforms, both above and below ground level, are reached through a street-level domestic concourse named The Market, which runs east to west at the point where the old and new parts of the station meet: the domestic and international concourses meet at a right angle, forming a “T” shape. The main pedestrian entrance is at the eastern end of the domestic concourse, where a subway enables pedestrians to reach King’s Cross station and the northern ticket hall of the tube station. It runs under Pancras Road from the eastern entrance of the domestic concourse to the new northern ticket hall of King’s Cross St Pancras tube station (opened November 2009) and the new concourse for King’s Cross railway station (opened March 2012).

St Pancras is often termed the “cathedral of the railways”, and includes two of the most celebrated structures built in Britain in the Victorian era. The train shed, completed in 1868 by the engineer William Henry Barlow, was the largest single-span structure built up to that time. The frontage of the station is formed by the former Midland Grand Hotel, designed by George Gilbert Scott, an example of Victorian Gothic architecture, now occupied by the five-star Renaissance London Hotel and apartments.

The terminal is one of relatively few railway stations in England to feature multilingual signage; all notices are written in English and French. Ashford International station has similar bilingual signs. Other stations with foreign-language signs include Southall, which has signs in Punjabi, Wallsend Metro station (Latin), and Moreton-in-Marsh (Japanese). In March 2014, the station’s public relations team commissioned a study of mispronounced words, reportedly as a result of passengers referring to the station as “St Pancreas”.

Read more on St Pancras International, St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel and Wikipedia St Pancras railway station. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State - Weather report by weather.com). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Qatar

Theme Week Qatar

[caption id="attachment_162881" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Museum of Islamic Arts Park © flickr.com - Mohamod Fasil/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Qatar is a sovereign country located in Southwest Asia, occupying the small Qatar Peninsula on the northeastern coast of the Arabian Peninsula. Its sole land border is with Saudi Arabia to the south, with the rest of its territory surrounded by the Persian Gulf. A strait in the Persian Gulf separates Qatar from the nearby island of Bahrain, as well as sharing sea borders w...

[ read more ]

Volvic in Auvergne

Volvic in Auvergne

[caption id="attachment_153803" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Volvic spring © Matthieu Perona/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Volvic is a commune in the Puy-de-Dôme department in Auvergne in central France, with a population of 4,600 inhabitants. The municipality is located in the Riom arrondissement and there within the Canton of Riom-Ouest. The church at Volvic is dedicated to "St Priest" (Projectus), who is reputed to have been killed here in 676 AD. The Château de Tournoël is a medieval fortified castle pa...

[ read more ]

The Caribbean island of Saint Martin / Sint Maarten

The Caribbean island of Saint Martin / Sint Maarten

[caption id="attachment_153035" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cruise ships in Philipsburg © flickr.com - Petra de Boevere/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Saint Martin is an island in the northeast Caribbean, approximately 300 km (190 mi) east of Puerto Rico. The 87 square kilometres (34 sq mi) island is divided roughly 60/40 between France (53 square kilometres (20 sq mi)) and the Kingdom of the Netherlands (34 square kilometres (13 sq mi)); the two parts are roughly equal in population. It is one of the smallest sea isl...

[ read more ]

Koblenz, at the confluence of Rhine and Moselle rivers

Koblenz, at the confluence of Rhine and Moselle rivers

[caption id="attachment_159782" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Panorama Fortress Ehrenbreitstein © Holger Weinandt[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Koblenz is a city situated on both banks of the Rhine at its confluence with the Moselle, where the Deutsches Eck (German Corner) and its monument (Emperor William I on horseback) are situated. As Koblenz was one of the military posts established by Drusus about 8 BC, the town celebrated its 2000th anniversary in 1992. The name Koblenz is from Latin (ad) confluentes, confluence or "(at t...

[ read more ]

Paphos, European Capital of Culture 2017

Paphos, European Capital of Culture 2017

[caption id="attachment_168902" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sheriffing Paphos © panoramio.com - An. Antoniou/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Paphos is a coastal city in the southwest of Cyprus and the capital of Paphos District. In antiquity, two locations were called Paphos: Old Paphos, today at Kouklia, and New Paphos. The current city of Paphos lies on the Mediterranean coast, about 50 km (30 mi) west of Limassol (the biggest port on the island), which has an A6 highway connection. Paphos International Airport is...

[ read more ]

Forbidden City in China

Forbidden City in China

[caption id="attachment_185675" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Forbidden City - View from Jingshan Hill © Pixelflake/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Forbidden City is a palace complex in central Beijing in China. The former Chinese imperial palace from the Ming dynasty to the end of the Qing dynasty—the years 1420 to 1912, it now houses the Palace Museum. The Forbidden City served as the home of emperors and their households as well as the ceremonial and political center of Chinese government for almost 500 y...

[ read more ]

The island of Funen

The island of Funen

[caption id="attachment_152855" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Odense - City Hall © Kåre Thor Olsen[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Funen with a size of 2,984 km² (1152 sq. miles), is the third-largest island of Denmark following Zealand and Vendsyssel-Thy, and the 163rd largest island of the world. Funen is located in the central part of the country and has a population of 454,358 inhabitants. The main city is Odense, connected to the sea by canal, though this canal is now seldom used. The city's shipyard Odense Steel Shipyard h...

[ read more ]

The Old Royal Palace, seat of the Hellenic Parliament

The Old Royal Palace, seat of the Hellenic Parliament

[caption id="attachment_24663" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Old Royal Palace © flickr.com - Gerard McGovern/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Old Royal Palace is the former royal palace in Athens. The palace faces onto the Syntagma Square and now houses the Hellenic Parliament. The palace was designed by Friedrich von Gärtner for King Otto of Greece, Prince of Bavaria and was completed in 1843. As it served originally as a palace for the Greek monarchs, it is sometimes still referred to as the "Old Palace". A...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
© Tvabutzku1234
The Norwegian Getaway

Norwegian Getaway is a cruise ship of the Norwegian Cruise Line. It was built by Meyer Werft in Papenburg, Germany,...

Vannes and his wife © Myrabella
Theme Week Brittany – Vannes

Vannes (Breton: Gwened) is a commune in the Morbihan department in Brittany in north-western France. It was founded over 2000...

© Schlaier
Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre in London

The Globe Theatre was a theatre in London associated with William Shakespeare. It was built in 1599 by Shakespeare's playing...

Schließen