Asmara in Eritrea

Wednesday, 12 October 2016 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

St. Joseph's Cathedral © flickr.com - David Stanley/cc-by-2.0

St. Joseph’s Cathedral © flickr.com – David Stanley/cc-by-2.0

Asmara is the capital city and largest settlement in Eritrea. Home to a population of around 804,000 inhabitants, it sits at an elevation of 2,325 metres (7,628 ft). The city is located at the tip of an escarpment that is both the northwestern edge of the Eritrean highlands and the Great Rift Valley in neighbouring Ethiopia. Asmara is situated in Eritrea’s central Maekel Region. It is known for its well-preserved colonial Italian modernist architecture. The city is divided into thirteen districts or administrative areas: Acria, Abbashaul, Edaga Hamus, Arbaete Asmara, Mai Temenai, Paradizo, Sembel, Godaif, Maekel Ketema or Downtown, Tiravolo, Gejeret, Tsetserat and Gheza Banda.

Asmara has perhaps one of the most concentrated and intact assemblage of Modernist architecture anywhere in the world. The urban design within the Historic Perimeter has remained untouched since its original implementation and subsequent evolution throughout the 1930s, and the architectural elements exemplify a superlative example of Modernist architecture in a complete urban setting. The city’s architecture is heavily influenced by Italian architecture. Asmara is the site of an ancient highland village called ‘Arbate Asmara’. In 1885, the Italians invaded Eritrea and by 1900, Asmara had become the capital city. The site was chosen for its salubrious highland climate, reliable water supply and ideal geographic location in the centre of Eritrea. In the early twentieth century, Asmara represented little more than a tiny highland village, which grew incrementally to become a well-established town by the 1920s. However, by the 1930s, it was clear that Italy, under the rule of Mussolini, was intent on invading neighbouring Ethiopia and would use Eritrea as the launch pad for this long-held ambition. In preparation for this substantial military escapade, an unprecedented quantity of materials and labour flowed into Eritrea throughout the 1930s. In a matter of months, Asmara became a vast building site, as over 70,000 Italians arrived to established new lives for themselves. The rapid transformation of Asmara from a relatively minor town into Africa’s most modern and sophisticated city at that time overlapped with equally momentous events in the world of design and architecture, which involved the global proliferation of Modernism and its various forms, including Futurism, Rationalism, Novecento, and Art Deco. The spirit of this new age of travel and adventure was embodied in these new architectural forms. Asmara was an ideal blank canvas on which Italian architects could practice and realise these modern ideals. From 1935 to 1941, thousands of buildings were constructed in the city, most of which reflect various Modernist styles and some of which represent inimitable architectural forms, such as petrol stations mimicking aeroplanes and boats, commercial buildings designed as trains, cavernous cinemas with fine period plasterwork and Art Dem interiors, fine ultra-modern hotels and offices, and government buildings with highly politicised monumental designs.

Asmara © Reinhard Dietrich Asmara's Opera - Theater Asmara © Sailko/cc-by-sa-3.0 Beirut Street © Sailko/cc-by-3.0 Central Market or Shuq © flickr.com - David Stanley/cc-by-2.0 © Sailko/cc-by-3.0 St. Joseph's Cathedral © flickr.com - David Stanley/cc-by-2.0
<
>
Central Market or Shuq © flickr.com - David Stanley/cc-by-2.0
The city is home to the Eritrean National Museum and is known for its early 20th-century buildings, including the Art Deco Cinema Impero (opened in 1937 and considered by the experts one of the world’s finest examples of Art Déco style building, Cubist Africa Pension, eclectic Orthodox Cathedral and former Opera House, the futurist Fiat Tagliero Building, neo-Romanesque Roman Catholic Cathedral, and the neoclassical Governor’s Palace. The city is adorned by Italian colonial villas and mansions, one prominent example being the World Bank Building. Most of central Asmara was built between 1935 and 1941, so effectively the Italians managed to build almost an entire city, in just six years. At this time, the dictator Benito Mussolini had great plans for a second Roman Empire in Africa. War cut this short, but his injection of funds created the Asmara of today, which supposedly was to be a symbol that Fascism worked and is an ideal system of government. The city shows off most early 20th-century architectural styles. Some buildings are neo-Romanesque, such as the Roman Catholic Cathedral, some villas are built in a late Victorian style. Art Deco influences are found throughout the city; essentially Asmara was then what Dubai is now. Architects were restricted by nothing more than the bounds of their imaginations and were given the funds to create masterpieces which we can see today. Essences of Cubism can be found on the Africa Pension Building, and on a small collection of buildings. The Fiat Tagliero Building shows almost the height of futurism, just as it was coming into big fashion in Italy. In recent times, some buildings have been functionally built which sometimes can spoil the atmosphere of some cities, but they fit into Asmara as it is such a modern city.

Asmara is also the episcopal see of the archbishop of the Eritrean Orthodox Tewahedo Church, which became autocephalous in 1993. The archbishop was elevated in 1998 to the rank of Patriarchate of Eritrea, on a par with the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.

Asmara was known to be an exceptionally modern city, not only because of its architecture, but Asmara also had more traffic lights than Rome did when the city was being built. The city incorporates many features of a planned city. Indeed, Asmara was an early example of an ideal modern city created by architects, an idea which was introduced into many cities across the world, such as Brasilia, but which was not altogether popular. Features include designated city zoning and planning, wide treed boulevards, political areas and districts and space and scope for development. Asmara was not built for the Eritreans however; the Italians built it primarily for themselves. One unfortunate aspect of the city’s planning was separate areas designated for Italians and Eritreans, each disproportionately sized. The city has more than 400 examples of Italian-style architecture, wide streets, piazzas and coffee bars. While the boulevards are lined with palms and local shiba’kha trees, there are numerable pizzerias and coffee bars, serving cappucinos and lattes, as well as ice cream parlours and restaurants with Italian eritrean cuisine. People in Asmara dress in a unique, yet Eritrean style. Asmara is also highly praised for its peaceful, crime-free environment. It is one of the cleanest cities on the continent.

Read more on Wikivoyage Asmara and Wikipedia Asmara (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Kazakhstan - Oskemen

Theme Week Kazakhstan - Oskemen

[caption id="attachment_191953" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Theatre © Iskanderov Damir/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ust-Kamenogorsk or Oskemen is the administrative center of East Kazakhstan Region with a population of 310,000. It is served by Ust-Kamenogorsk Airport. The city has two official names. In the Russian language, its name is Усть-Каменогорск; in the Kazakh language, its accepted name is Өскемен/Óskemen. Both names appear on the seal of the city. The city has three cinemas (although...

[ read more ]

Andrey Melnichenko's mega yacht "A"

Andrey Melnichenko's mega yacht

[caption id="attachment_151137" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © blog.luxuryproperty.com[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Whilst not fitting the term "Luxury real estate," in the traditional sense of the word, i.e. on land, the current crop of giga-yachts or mega-yachts certainly fall under my definition of the word. Massive, spectacularly-outfitted floating mansions in fact. Conspicuous over consumption? Absolutely. Insanely expensive? Oh yes. Most of the final prices are carefully kept secret. Either that, or no one actually knows...

[ read more ]

Timișoara, the historic, economic and cultural center of Banat

Timișoara, the historic, economic and cultural center of Banat

[caption id="attachment_160834" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Lloyd Palace, seat of the 'Politehnica' University of Timişoara © Turbojet[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Timișoara is the capital city of Timiș County, in western Romania. One of the largest Romanian cities, with a population of 303,708 inhabitants (the third most populous city in the country, as of 2011), and considered the informal capital city of the historical region of Banat, Timișoara is the main social, economic and cultural center in the western part of Ro...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Israel - Abu Ghosh

Theme Week Israel - Abu Ghosh

[caption id="attachment_165392" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Entrance to Church of the Resurrection © JDesplats/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Abu Ghosh is a local council in Israel, located 10 kilometers (6.2 mi) west of Jerusalem on the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem highway. It is situated 610–720 meters above sea level. It takes its current name from the dominant clan inhabiting the town, while the older Arabic name used to be Qaryat al-'Inab ("Grape Village"). Abu Ghosh is part of the Jerusalem District. The Population i...

[ read more ]

Châteauneuf-du-Pape in the south of France

Châteauneuf-du-Pape in the south of France

[caption id="attachment_160241" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Vineyard and château near Châteauneuf-du-Pape © Vi..Cult...[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Châteauneuf-du-Pape is a commune in the Vaucluse department in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region in southeastern France. Châteauneuf-du-Pape is firmly entwined with papal history. In 1308, Pope Clement V, former Archbishop of Bordeaux, relocated the papacy to the city of Avignon. Clement V and subsequent "Avignon Popes" were said to be great lovers of wine and di...

[ read more ]

Tartu, the spiritual center of Estonia

Tartu, the spiritual center of Estonia

[caption id="attachment_160868" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Town Hall Square with fountain The Kissing Students © Alinozka/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Tartu is the second largest city of Estonia, following Estonia's political and financial capital Tallinn, Tartu is often considered the intellectual centre of the country, especially since it is home to the nation's oldest and most renowned university, the University of Tartu. Tartu has been an intellectual centre of both Estonia and Baltic countries for several c...

[ read more ]

The Volkswagen city of Wolfsburg

The Volkswagen city of Wolfsburg

[caption id="attachment_151146" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Wolfsburg Skyline © Cubanito[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Wolfsburg is located on the River Aller northeast of Braunschweig (Brunswick), and is mainly notable as the headquarters of Volkswagen AG. Wolfsburg is bordered by the districts of Gifhorn and Helmstedt. Wolfsburg was founded on 1 July 1938 as the Nazis' Stadt des KdF-Wagens bei Fallersleben (English: City of the KdF Car at Fallersleben), a planned town around the village of Fallersleben in order to house the ...

[ read more ]

The Lake Starnberg

The Lake Starnberg

[caption id="attachment_153424" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Rose Island in Lake Starnberg © Petermann/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lake Starnberg — called Lake Würm until 1962, and also known as Prince's Lake — is Germany's fifth largest freshwater lake in terms of area and, due to its great average depth, the second largest in terms of water volume. The lake and its surroundings are an unincorporated area within the rural district of Starnberg; the lake itself is the property of the state of Bavaria and is ...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Mary G. Steiner Egyptian Theatre © Kevinthompson3221
Park City in Utah

Park City is a city in Summit County in Utah. It is considered to be part of the Wasatch Back....

House of Culture © Thelmadatter
Mexicali in Baja California

Mexicali is the capital city of the Mexican state of Baja California and seat of the Municipality of Mexicali. The...

© GuidoR/cc-by-sa-3.0
Île de la Cité

The Île de la Cité is one of two remaining natural islands in the Seine within the city of Paris...

Schließen