The Marais in Paris

Saturday, 5 December 2015 - 01:00 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Paris

Place des Vosges © AlNo/cc-by-sa-3.0

Place des Vosges © AlNo/cc-by-sa-3.0

Le Marais (“The Marsh”) is a historic district in Paris. Long the aristocratic district of Paris, it hosts many outstanding buildings of historic and architectural importance. It spreads across parts of the 3rd and 4th arrondissements in Paris (on the Rive Droite, or Right Bank, of the Seine). In 1240 the Order of the Temple built its fortified church just outside the walls of Paris, in the northern part of the Marais. The Temple turned this district into an attractive area, which became known as the Temple Quarter, and many religious institutions were built nearby: the des Blancs-Manteaux, de Sainte-Croix-de-la-Bretonnerie and des Carmes-Billettes convents, as well as the church of Sainte-Catherine-du-Val-des-Écoliers. From that time to the 17th century and especially after the Royal Square (Place Royale, current place des Vosges) was designed under King Henri IV in 1605, the Marais was the French nobility’s favorite place of residence. French nobles built their urban mansions there such as the Hôtel de Sens, the Hôtel de Sully, the Hôtel de Beauvais, the Hôtel Carnavalet, the Hôtel de Guénégaud and the Hôtel de Soubise.

After the nobility started to move to the Faubourg Saint-Germain, the district became a popular and active commercial area, hosting one of Paris’ main Jewish communities. At the end of the 19th century and during the first half of the 20th, the district around the rue des Rosiers, referred to as the “Pletzl“, welcomed many Eastern European Jews (Ashkenazi) who reinforced the district’s clothing specialization. But, during World War II the Jewish community was targeted by the Nazis who were occupying France. The rue des Rosiers is still a major centre of the Paris Jewish community, which has made a comeback since the 1990s. Public notices announce Jewish events, bookshops specialize in Jewish books, and numerous restaurants and other outlets sell kosher food. Le Marais houses the Museum of Jewish Art and History, which traces the history of the Jewish world through its artistic and cultural heritage. The Agoudas Hakehilos Synagogue on 10 rue Pavée is not far from rue des Rosiers. It was designed in 1913 by Art Nouveau architect Hector Guimard, who designed several Paris Metro stations.

Restaurant Chez Marianne © Zantastik/cc-by-sa-3.0 Place des Vosges © flickr.com - Tim Schapker/cc-by-2.0 Hotel Guénégaud - Musée de la Chasse © Pline/cc-by-sa-3.0 Place des Vosges © AlNo/cc-by-sa-3.0 Hotel de Sens © Pline/cc-by-sa-3.0 Hotel Sully © Beckstet/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Hotel Guénégaud - Musée de la Chasse © Pline/cc-by-sa-3.0
By the 1950s, the district had become a working-class area and most of its architectural masterpieces were in a bad state of repair. In 1964, General de Gaulle’s Culture Minister Andre Malraux made the Marais the first secteur sauvegardé (literally safeguarded sector). These were meant to protect and conserve places of special cultural significance. In the following decades the government and the Parisian municipality have led an active restoration and Rehabilitation Policy. The main Hôtels particuliers have been restored and turned into museums: the Hôtel Salé hosts the Picasso Museum, the Hôtel Carnavalet hosts the Paris Historical Museum, the Hôtel Donon hosts the Cognacq-Jay Museum, etc. The site of Beaubourg, the western part of Marais, was chosen for the Centre Georges Pompidou, France’s national Museum of Modern Art and one of the world’s most important cultural institutions. The building was completed in 1977 with revolutionary architecture by Renzo Piano and Richard Rogers.

The Marais is now one of Paris’ main localities for art galleries. Following its rehabilitation, the Marais has become a fashionable district, home to many trendy restaurants, fashion houses, and hip galleries. The neighbourhood has experienced a growing gay presence since the 1980s, as evidenced by the existence of many gay cafés, nightclubs, cabarets and shops. These establishments are mainly concentrated in the southwestern portion of the Marais, many on or near the streets Sainte-Croix de la Bretonnerie and rue des Archives. The Marais is also known for the Chinese community it hosts. The community began to appear during World War I. At that time, France needed workers to replace its at-war soldiers and China decided to send a few thousand of its citizens on the condition that they would not take part in the war. After the 1918 victory, some of them decided to stay in Paris, specifically living around the current rue au Maire. Today, most work in jewelery and leather-related products. The Marais’ Chinese community has settled in the north of the district, particularly in the surrounding of Place de la République. Next to it, on the rue du Temple, is the Chinese Church of Paris. Other features of the neighbourhood include the Musée Picasso, the house of Nicolas Flamel, the Musée Cognacq-Jay, the Musée Carnavalet and the new and very popular Café Charlot.

Read more on timeout.com – Marais and Beaubourg area guide and Wikipedia Le Marais (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.






Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Victoria & Alfred Waterfront in Cape Town

Victoria & Alfred Waterfront in Cape Town

[caption id="attachment_172119" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Osvát András[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Victoria & Alfred (V&A) Waterfront in Cape Town is situated on the Atlantic shore, Table Bay Harbour, the City of Cape Town and Table Mountain. Adrian van der Vyver designed the complex. The Waterfront attracts more than 23 million visitors a year. Situated in South Africa’s oldest working harbour, the 123 hectares (300 acres) area has been developed for mixed-use, with both residential and commercial real estate. F...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

The Sea Cloud I

The Sea Cloud I

[caption id="attachment_152979" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sea Cloud I in Hamburg © Tvabutzku1234[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Sea Cloud was built in Kiel, Germany as a Barque for E. F. Hutton & Co.. She was launched in 1931 as the Hussar II; at the time of her construction, she was the largest private yacht in the world. In 1935, United States Ambassador to the Soviet Union Joseph E. Davies obtained the ship after marrying Hutton's ex-wife Marjorie Merriweather Post. Davies renamed the ship Sea Cloud. As a man with politica...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Macedonia - Kumanovo

Theme Week Macedonia - Kumanovo

[caption id="attachment_151188" align="aligncenter" width="590"] City Square © MacedonianBoy/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Kumanovo is a city and the seat of Kumanovo Municipality which is the largest municipality in the country. Municipal institutions include a city council, mayor and other administrative bodies. Kumanovo is situated in the northeastern part of the Macedonia, near the capital city of Skopje and is surrounded by the Karadag part of Skopska Crna Gora mountain on its western side, Gradištanska mountain ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Ramallah in the central West Bank

Ramallah in the central West Bank

[caption id="attachment_27272" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Manarah Square © Abutoum[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ramallah is a Palestinian city in the central West Bank located 10 km (6 miles) north of Jerusalem at an elevation of 875 meters above sea level, adjacent to al-Bireh. It currently serves as the de facto administrative capital of the State of Palestine. Ramallah was historically a Christian town, but today Muslims form the majority of the population, with Christians still making up a significant minority. R...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week East Jerusalem - The Jaffa Gate

Theme Week East Jerusalem - The Jaffa Gate

[caption id="attachment_168684" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Jaffa Gate plaque © Djampa/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Jaffa Gate (Bab al-Khalil, Hebron Gate) is a stone portal in the historic walls of the Arabic East Jerusalem (Old City). It is one of eight gates in Jerusalem's Old City walls (Damascus Gate, Dung Gate, Golden Gate, Herod's Gate, Huldah Gates, Jaffa Gate, Lions' Gate, New Gate, and Zion Gate). The Crusaders calling it "David's Gate". Jaffa Gate is the only one of the Old City gates positioned at a r...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Land’s End in Cornwall

Land’s End in Cornwall

[caption id="attachment_150622" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Land's End marker © Mohcyn[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Land's End is a headland and holiday complex in western Cornwall. It is the most westerly point of mainland Cornwall and England, is within the Penwith peninsula and is about eight miles (13 km) west-south-west of Penzance at the starting and finishing point of the A30 road. In May 2012, Land's End received worldwide publicity as the starting point of the 2012 Summer Olympics torch relay. In 1769, the antiquaria...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Dunvegan Castle, seat of the chief of the Clan MacLeod

Dunvegan Castle, seat of the chief of the Clan MacLeod

[caption id="attachment_23575" align="alignleft" width="590"] Dunvegan Castle and Gardens, home to the MacLeod family for over 800 years© Dunvegancastle/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Dunvegan Castle is a castle a mile and a half to the north of Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye, situated off the West coast of Scotland. It is the seat of the MacLeod of MacLeod, chief of the Clan MacLeod. Dunvegan Castle is the oldest continuously inhabited castle in Scotland. A curtain wall was built round the hill in the 13th centur...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Derry in Londonderry

Derry in Londonderry

[caption id="attachment_152553" align="aligncenter" width="590"] River Foyle © Sean McClean[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Derry or Londonderry is the second-largest city in Northern Ireland and the fourth-largest city on the island of Ireland. The name Derry is an anglicisation of the Irish name Daire or Doire meaning "oak grove". In 1613, the city was granted a Royal Charter by King James I and the "London" prefix was added, changing the name of the city to Londonderry. While the city is more usually known as Derry, Londonderry is...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
'Welcome to fabulous Las Vegas' sign © Pobrien301
The Las Vegas Strip

The Las Vegas Strip is a stretch of Las Vegas Boulevard South in Clark County, Nevada, internationally known for its...

© M(e)ister Eiskalt/cc-by-sa-4.0
Oberpollinger in München

The Oberpollinger is a known department store in Neuhauser Strasse in Munich. It is run by the The KaDeWe Group...

Statsraad Lehmkuhl and Lord Nelson © flickr.com - Bruno Girin/cc-by-sa-2.0
The Statsraad Lehmkuhl

The Statsraad Lehmkuhl is a three-masted barque rigged sail training vessel owned and operated by the Statsraad Lehmkuhl Foundation. It...

Schließen