The Schwerin Castle in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania

Wednesday, 6 March 2013 - 01:14 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks

City of Schwerin, Lake Schwerin and Schwerin Castle © Günther Pöpperl

City of Schwerin, Lake Schwerin and Schwerin Castle © Günther Pöpperl

Schwerin Castle is a castle located in the city of Schwerin, the capital of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. For centuries it was the home of the dukes and grand dukes of Mecklenburg and later Mecklenburg-Schwerin. It currently serves as the seat of the state parliament.

In 1837, the ducal residence moved back to Schwerin, but the building was in relatively bad condition. Additionally, the Grand Duke didn’t like the individual buildings’ incongruent origins and architectural styles. Grand Duke Friedrich (1800–1842) decided to rebuild the castle, and ordered his architect Georg Adolph Demmler (1804–1886) to do so. A few months later, construction was halted by his successor, Friedrich Franz II (1823–1883), who wanted a complete reconstruction of the historic site. Only some parts of the building from the 16th and 17th century were kept.

Dresden architect Gottfried Semper (1803–1879) and Berlin architect Friedrich August Stüler (1800–1865) could not convince the grand duke of their plans. Instead, Demmler included elements of both of them into his plan, but would find inspiration in French Renaissance castles. It became the most admired master work of the student of Karl Friedrich Schinkel. He also planned a government building in 1825-26 located at Schlossstraße (today the State Chancellery). Renaissance châteaux of the Loire Valley such as Chambord) also inspired him and contributed to the construction from 1843 until 1851.

Schwerin Castle © Niteshift Castle bridge and Schwerin Castle © Chriusha (Хрюша)/cc-by-sa-3.0 Schwerin Castle © LutzKelch/cc-by-sa-3.0 Schwerin Castle on its island © Harald Hoyer/cc-by-sa-3.0 Schwerin Castle and Gardens © Backslash/cc-by-sa-3.0 City of Schwerin, Lake Schwerin and Schwerin Castle © Günther Pöpperl
<
>
City of Schwerin, Lake Schwerin and Schwerin Castle © Günther Pöpperl
There was a fire in the castle in December 1913. The revolution in 1918 resulted in the abdication of the Grand Duke, but only the exterior reconstruction had been completed. It later became a museum and in 1948 the seat of parliament. The German Democratic Republic, opposed to nobility, used it as a college for kindergarten teachers from 1952-1981. Then it was a museum again until 1993. The Orangerie had been a technical museum since 1961. From 1974 on, some renovated rooms were used as an art museum.

Since late 1990, it is once again a place of government and representation as the seat of the Landtag (state assembly) of the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. Since then, massive renovation efforts have been conducted and are, due to the complexity of a castle of this size, still in progress.

The small impious ghost Petermännchen reportedly roams the halls of the Schwerin castle. This little spirit is no more than a few feet high, and is often depicted in clothes from the 17th century, something resembling a cavalier. His existence may be in doubt, but he is a popular legend as ever.

Read more on Schwerin Castle and Wikipedia Schwerin Castle. Photos by Wikipedia Commons.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week East Anglia - Bury St Edmunds

Theme Week East Anglia - Bury St Edmunds

[caption id="attachment_150394" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Abbey Gardens and Cathedral © geograph.org.uk - Robert Edwards/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bury St Edmunds is a market town in the county of Suffolk, and formerly the county town of West Suffolk. It is the main town in the borough of St Edmundsbury and known for the ruined abbey near the town centre. Bury is the seat of the Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, with the episcopal see at St Edmundsbury Cathedral. The town, originally called Beod...

[ read more ]

Karitena in the highlands of Arcadia

Karitena in the highlands of Arcadia

[caption id="attachment_150977" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Nochoje/cc-by-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Karytaina is a village and a community in Arcadia. Karytaina is situated on a hill on the right bank of the river Alpheios, near its confluence with the Lousios. Karytaina is 54 km (34 mi) from the capital of Arcadia, Tripoli, 20 km (12 mi) from Megalopoli and 17 km (11 mi) from Stemnitsa, built on the slopes of the hill of Achreiovouni, some 550 m above sea level. The village dates back to the Middle Ages, but its his...

[ read more ]

Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart

Mercedes-Benz Museum in Stuttgart

[caption id="attachment_165657" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Julian Herzog/cc-by-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Mercedes-Benz Museum is an automobile museum in Stuttgart. It covers the history of the Mercedes-Benz brand and the brands associated with it. Stuttgart is home to the Mercedes-Benz brand and the international headquarters of Daimler AG. The museum provides visitors with free audio tours in a variety of languages and is the most visited museum in Stuttgart. Visitors are also offered the opportunity to take a ...

[ read more ]

Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay

Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay

[caption id="attachment_152330" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Port of Angel Island © picasaweb.google.com - Mirjam Hart/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Angel Island is an island in San Francisco Bay that offers expansive views of the San Francisco skyline, the Marin County Headlands and Mount Tamalpais. The entire island is included within Angel Island State Park and is administered by California State Parks. The island, a California Historical Landmark, has been used for a variety of purposes, including military fort...

[ read more ]

The island of Karmøy in Norway

The island of Karmøy in Norway

[caption id="attachment_160983" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Høyevarde lighthouse © flickr.com - Michael Spiller/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Karmøy is a municipality in Rogaland county, Norway. It is located southwest of the city of Haugesund in the traditional district of Haugaland. Karmøy was created as a new municipality on 1 January 1965 after the merger of Kopervik (city), Skudeneshavn (city), Skudenes, Stangaland, Torvastad, Åkra, and most of Avaldsnes. The Karmsund strait was also the source of the nam...

[ read more ]

Theme Week New Caledonia - Païta

Theme Week New Caledonia - Païta

[caption id="attachment_150841" align="aligncenter" width="590"] High Street © Torbenbrinker/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Païta is a commune in the suburbs of Nouméa in the South Province. New Caledonia's international airport, La Tontouta International Airport, is located there. The catholic church in the centre of Paita was built in 1875. The modern Cultural Centre in the High Street is worth a look as well. It is used for various exhibitions and cultural performances. The Town Hall (Mairie) is close by.[g...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Crimea

Theme Week Crimea

[caption id="attachment_5970" align="aligncenter" width="590" caption="Swallow's Nest © flickr.com - Иерей Максим Массалитин"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Crimea, or the Autonomous Republic of Crimea, is a sub-national unit, an autonomous republic, of Ukraine. It is located on the northern coast of the Black Sea, occupying a peninsula of the same name. It was often referred to with the definite article, as the Crimea, until well into the 20th century. The territory of Crimea was conquered and con...

[ read more ]

Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire

Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire

[caption id="attachment_154240" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © gailf548[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Blenheim Palace is a monumental country house situated in Woodstock, Oxfordshire, England, residence of the dukes of Marlborough. It is the only non-royal non-episcopal country house in England to hold the title of palace. The palace, one of England's largest houses, was built between 1705 and circa 1724. UNESCO recognised the palace as a World Heritage Site in 1987. Its construction was originally intended to be a gift to John...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Parson's Fee © Francs2000
Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire

Aylesbury is the county town of Buckinghamshire and administrative town of the Aylesbury Vale district in the outskirts of the...

Geiranger and Geirangerfjord © Marczel
The Geiranger Fjord in Norway

The Geiranger Fjord is a fjord in the Sunnmøre region of Møre og Romsdal county in Norway. It is in...

Rhine Panorama © Moguntiner/cc-by-sa-3.0
Boppard in the upper Middle Rhine Valley

Boppard is a town in the Rhein-Hunsrück district in Rhineland-Palatinate, lying in the Rhine Gorge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site....

Schließen