Bourg-en-Bresse in eastern France

Saturday, 23 March 2013 - 01:05 pm (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General

© FRED/cc-by-sa-3.0

© FRED/cc-by-sa-3.0

Bourg-en-Bresse is a commune in eastern France with a population of 40,000, capital of the Ain department, and was capital of the former province of Bresse (Brêsse). It is located 70 km (43 mi) north-northeast of Lyon and at 50 kilometres (31 mi) of Lons-le-Saunier. The inhabitants of Bourg-en-Bresse are known as Burgiens. The city is located at the western base of the Jura mountains, on the left bank of the Reyssouze, a tributary of the Saône.

The manufactures consist of iron goods, mineral waters, tallow, soap and earthenware, and there are flour mills and breweries; and there is considerable trade in grain, cattle and poultry – Poulet de Bresse.

Roman remains have been discovered at Bourg, but little is known of its early history. Raised to the rank of a free town in 1250, it was at the beginning of the 15th century chosen by the dukes of Savoy as the chief city of the province of Bresse. In February 1535 – 1536 new style – it passed to France, during a full-scale French invasion of Savoy, but was restored to Duke Philibert Emmanuel in 1559, when he married Henri II‘s sister Marguerite. The Duke later built a strong citadel, which afterwards withstood a six-months’ siege by the soldiers of Henry IV. The town was finally ceded to France in 1601. In 1814 the inhabitants, in spite of the defenseless condition of their town, offered resistance to the Austrians, who put the place to pillage.

Quinet Square © Frachet/cc-by-sa-3.0 Préfecture de l'Ain © Bombadil75/cc-by-sa-3.0 Cinema La Grenette © Local.fr/cc-by-sa-3.0 Church of Brou © Pethrus/cc-by-sa-3.0 Town hall © Garibaldy/cc-by-sa-3.0 © FRED/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
Préfecture de l'Ain © Bombadil75/cc-by-sa-3.0
The chief of the older buildings is the church of Notre-Dame (Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l’Annonciation de Bourg-en-Bresse) (16th century), of which the façade belongs to the Renaissance; other parts of the church are Gothic. In the interior there are stalls of the 16th century. The other public buildings, including a handsome préfecture, are modern. The hôtel de ville contains a library and the Lorin museum with a collection of pictures, while another museum has a collection of the old costumes and ornaments characteristic of Bresse. Among the statues in the town there is one of Edgar Quinet (1803–1875), a native of Bourg.

The church of Brou, a suburb of Bourg-en-Bresse, is of great artistic interest. Marguerite of Bourbon, wife of Philip II of Savoy, had intended to found a monastery on the spot, but died before her intention could be carried into effect. The church was actually built early in the 16th century by her daughter-in-law Marguerite of Austria, wife of Philibert le Beau of Savoy, in memory of her husband. The exterior, especially the façade, is richly ornamented, but the chief interest lies in the works of art in the interior, which date from 1532. The most important are the three mausoleums with the marble effigies of Marguerite of Bourbon, Philibert le Beau, and Marguerite of Austria. All three are remarkable for perfection of sculpture and richness of ornamentation. The rood loft, the oak stalls, and the reredos in the chapel of the Virgin are masterpieces in a similar style.

Read more on City of Bourg-en-Bresse, Bourg-en-Bresse Tourism and Wikipedia Bourg-en-Bresse. Learn more about the use of photos. To inform you about latest news most of the city, town or tourism websites offer a newsletter service and/or operate Facebook pages/Twitter accounts. In addition more and more destinations, tourist organizations and cultural institutions offer Apps for your Smart Phone or Tablet, to provide you with a mobile tourist guide (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Theme Week Beirut - The Platinum Tower

Theme Week Beirut - The Platinum Tower

[caption id="attachment_171377" align="aligncenter" width="546"] Marina Towers (left) and Platinum Tower (right) © A.K.Khalifeh/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Platinum Tower is a highrise residential building in Beirut in Lebanon. It occupies a large plot on the Zaitunay Bay Marina, at Saint George Bay in the Beirut Central District. The house is illuminated over night at the edges, and on top, additionally with horizontal light lines at every ninth floor. The Platinum Tower has occupied a significant location o...

[ read more ]

The Arab World Institute in Paris

The Arab World Institute in Paris

[caption id="attachment_27363" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Pont de Sully (front) with the Institut du Monde Arabe in the background to the right, to the left the northern buildings of the Jussieu Campus © David Monniaux/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Arab World Institute (abbreviated "AWI"; French: Institut du Monde Arabe, abbreviated "IMA") is an organization founded in Paris in 1980 by 18 Arab countries with France to research and disseminate information about the Arab world and its cultural and spiritual val...

[ read more ]

The museum ship Amsterdam

The museum ship Amsterdam

[caption id="attachment_183088" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Malis[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Amsterdam was an 18th-century cargo ship of the Dutch East India Company (Dutch: Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie; VOC). The ship started its maiden voyage from Texel to Batavia on 8 January 1749, but was wrecked in a storm on the English Channel on 26 January 1749. The shipwreck was discovered in 1969 in the bay of Bulverhythe, United Kingdom, and is sometimes visible during low tides. The wreck site is protected under the ...

[ read more ]

Barcelonnette in the Ubaye valley

Barcelonnette in the Ubaye valley

[caption id="attachment_151640" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Speculos/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Barcelonnette is a commune of France and a subprefecture in the department of Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region. It is located in the southern French Alps, at the crossroads between Provence, Piedmont and the Dauphiné, and is the largest town in the Ubaye Valley. The town's inhabitants are known as Barcelonnettes. Barcelonnette is situated in the wide and fertile Ubaye Valley, of w...

[ read more ]

Theme Week Hamburg - HafenCity and Speicherstadt

Theme Week Hamburg - HafenCity and Speicherstadt

[caption id="attachment_149065" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Speicherstadt © Heidas[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Speicherstadt The Speicherstadt is the world-largest timber-pile founded warehouse district of the world. It is located in the port of Hamburg—within the HafenCity quarter—and was built from 1883 to 1927. The district was built as a free zone to transfer goods without paying customs. As of 2009 the district and the surrounding area is under redevelopment. The warehouses were built with different support structu...

[ read more ]

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II in Milan

[caption id="attachment_151152" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Tango7174/cc-by-sa-4.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II is one of the world's oldest shopping malls. Housed within a four-story double arcade in central Milan, the Galleria is named after Vittorio Emanuele II, the first king of the Kingdom of Italy. It was designed in 1861 and built by Giuseppe Mengoni between 1865 and 1877. The structure consists of two glass-vaulted arcades intersecting in an octagon covering the street conne...

[ read more ]

The German Historical Museum in Berlin

The German Historical Museum in Berlin

[caption id="attachment_162404" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Armory Unter den Linden © VollwertBIT/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The German Historical Museum (Deutsches Historisches Museum), DHM for short, is a museum in Berlin devoted to German history and defines itself as a place of enlightenment and understanding of the shared history of Germans and Europeans. It is often viewed as one of the most important museums in Berlin and is one of the most frequented. The museum is located in the Zeughaus (armoury) on t...

[ read more ]

The City of Melbourne

The City of Melbourne

[caption id="attachment_154144" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Crown Casino Complex & Melbourne Exhibition Building © Donaldytong[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Melbourne is the capital and most populous city in the state of Victoria, and the second most populous city in Australia. The Melbourne City Centre is the hub of the greater metropolitan area and the Census statistical division - of which "Melbourne" is the common name. As of June 2009, the greater geographical area had an approximate population of four million. Inhabi...

[ read more ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Portobello Road sign © Arnoprepa1/cc-by-sa-3.0
The Portobello Road in London

Portobello Road is a street in the Notting Hill district of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in west...

National Palace © Reinhard Jahn/cc-by-sa-2.0
Mexico City in the Valley of Mexico

Mexico City (also known as México D.F., or simply D.F.) is the Federal District (Distrito Federal), capital of Mexico and...

Garibaldi Square and Fountain © Nerijp
Cervia on the Adriatic Sea

Cervia is a town and comune (municipality) in the province of Ravenna (Emilia-Romagna), central Italy, with a population of about...

Schließen