Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum

Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Berlin, General, Museums, Exhibitions, Sustainability, Palaces, Castles, Manors, Parks

Italian Gardens and Tropical House © Axel Mauruszat

Italian Gardens and Tropical House © Axel Mauruszat

The Berlin-Dahlem Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum (German: Botanischer Garten und Botanisches Museum Berlin-Dahlem) is a botanical garden in Berlin, with an area of 43 hectares and around 22,000 different plant species. It was constructed between 1897 and 1910, under the guidance of architect Adolf Engler, in order to present exotic plants returned from German colonies. The garden is located in the Lichterfelde locality of the borough of Steglitz-Zehlendorf. When it was founded, a part of it was located in Dahlem, a fact that is still reflected in its name. This part of Dahlem became part of Lichterfelde in 1938. Today, the garden is part of the Free University of Berlin. The Botanical Museum (Botanisches Museum), with a large herbarium (Herbarium Berolinense) and a large scientific library, is attached to the garden.

The complex consists of several buildings and glass-houses, such as the Cactus Pavilion and the Pavilion Victoria (which features a collection of orchids, carnivorous plants and giant white water lily Victoria-Seerosen). The total area of all glass-houses is 6,000 m². The garden’s open-air areas, sorted by geographical origin, have a total area of 13 hectares. The garden’s arboretum is 14 hectares. The best-known part of the garden is the Great Pavilion (Großes Tropenhaus). The temperature inside is maintained at 30 °C and air humidity is kept high. Among the many tropical plants it hosts a giant bamboo.

Subtropical House © Axel Mauruszat Italian Gardens and Tropical House © Axel Mauruszat Greenhouses © WikiPlant - Florian Siebeck/cc-by-sa-2.5 Cactus House © Flo/cc-by-sa-2.5 Victoria House © flo/cc-by-sa-2.5
<
>
Greenhouses © WikiPlant - Florian Siebeck/cc-by-sa-2.5
History
In the year 1573, during the time of Elector John George, the first noteworthy assembly of plants for the enlargement of the national collection was achieved, under the leadership of the chief gardener at the kitchen garden of the Berlin City Palace, Desiderius Corbianus. Even if the expression “Botanic Garden” did not exist at that time, it was, in fact, the first such in Berlin. The existing Pleasure Garden has developed from this original one. In 1679 at the Potsdam Street – in place of the present Kleistpark – a hop garden was laid out, which was used, as a purpose of the electoral brewery, as a fruits- and kitchen garden. Carl Ludwig Willdenow achieved that the garden was assigned in 1809 to the Berlin Frederick William University, which developed worldwide to a recognised “Botanic Garden” with a scientific character. Between 1819 and 1838 the explorer, botanist and poet Adalbert von Chamisso worked as Second Custos of the Herbarium in the Botanical Garden. First stimuli to move the Botanic Garden appeared in 1888, given because of the need, to expand the plantings and to set out an arboretum. Besides many of the old greenhouses would have needed a reconstruction. Added to the unfavourable impacts of the surroundings, which was in the meantime densely developed because of the cities Berlin and Schöneberg; air pollution and a drawdown harmed the plants. Also the financial aspects of a move to the city periphery were of importance.

Layout
Adolf Engler designed the grounds of the gardens as a landscaped garden. The largest part of the grounds is covered by the geographical section (12.9 ha) and the arboretum (13.9 ha). The geographical section is situated just west of the main path and surrounds the Italienischer Garten (Italian garden), which lies just opposite the exhibition green houses. The aim was to present the various continents and habitats as close to their natural surroundings as possible. To accommodate this, the structure and composition of the ground was adapted and 136,000 m³ of earth were moved. The Karpfenpfuhl (carp pond), a pool of moraines that was already on the grounds before the creation of the botanical gardens, was enlarged and extended by a second pond. This facilitates the showcasing of waterside plants. The southern and western part of the gardens are taken up by the arboretum, a comprehensive and methodical collection of native plants. The arboretum borders the ponds. Therefore, native waterside plants are also part of the collection. The north western area of the gardens used to feature a section of plants which were methodically sorted by their affinity. This section was destroyed by air strikes, artillery fire and fighting on the ground in 1945. It has since been rebuilt in a modified version. It now houses a compound for the system of herbaceous plants and the compound for medical plants. This compound has been built in the form of the human body with the plants planted in the positions of their healing properties. It’s the successor of the Apothekergarten (pharmacist’s garden). This used to be situated further to the east, along with the “economical section” which presented useful plants. The Apothekergarten was especially important because it showcased all medical plants which grow outdoors. Two “morphological sections” used to be situated east of the main path in the little free spaces in-between the buildings. Here, the water and marsh bed compound in section II requires special mention. 262 basins with water sprinkling and draining of the overflowing water were built from cement concrete for this. A large water basin was heated for the tropical marsh flora. The entire compound still exists but has been left open after the opening of the directly bordering new marsh and water plants garden. The old compound is now developing into a conservation area for native wild plants and a biotope.

Pavilions
Numerous outdoor installations offer the possibility to relax, study literature, or search for protection against the rain. Alfred Koerner proved his comprehensive skills by matching the constructions to diverse styles as well as the botanical surroundings. Parts of these pavilions are connected to ornamental elements. A Japanese arbour is situated in the centre of an ornamental garden named “Japanese Love”, within the sector which represent the flora and fauna of East Asia. The “Arbour of Roses” is situated in the centre of the arboretum. In this case Koerner built a semi–circular building from basalt lava. Its style can be described as Romanesque. It is surrounded by wild roses which overgrow the arbour. These roses show their impressive blossoms in front of the dark building. Nowadays an open hall which is suitable for lectures is situated in the systematic section within widely spread meadows. Engler and his students used to go there to hold lectures.

Water Plant
Similarly important as the supply with heat is the sufficient supply with fresh water. In order to cover the requirements of the masses two 50 m deep fountains were set up. Without treating the found deep water it was suitable for open planting. To deliver the water a water plant with vapour pumps was set up which was supplied with heat by the heating station. The water was pumped directly to the mains system of the garden as well as to the 550 m³ large water tower located behind the conservatories. The pumping system was designed for a daily output of 1000 m³ of water. So as to supply the buildings with water it was used from the public system from the beginning. In case of need the public system could have been used as an alternative to the water works. The technology was updated and today the pumps are operated by electricity, but the deep well still ensures the water supply networks.

Heating Plant
Special requirements were placed on the heating plant as additional heating was vital for the large variety of plants with different growing conditions. For that, a continuously run plant was necessary since there also must be heating at night as well as in summer. Considering the high requirements for cultivation and energy an independent heating plant with three warm water kettles and a boiler were built in the Botanical Garden. The heating plant had to meet the following challenges:

  • provision of the heating systems with hot water steam and low pressure steam,
  • supply of the greenhouses with water vapour for air humidification and tropical mist,
  • supply of the nursery with warm water,
  • supply of the pumping station, the rainwater pressure pipe, the electrical lighting and the electrical working machines with energy

Until the decommissioning of the plant it had been run with approx. 1,500 tons of coal a year. The Botanical Garden was connected to the district heating network of the district heating plant Steglitz on September 13, 1967. Since then it has been the main source for heating energy for the Botanical Garden. Annual energy consumption levels amount 8580 Gcal (giga calories), from which a third is used for the “Großes Tropenhaus” (large tropical greenhouse). The renovation of the large tropical greenhouse has reduced the energy consumption levels significantly. After the renovation work is done energy consumption levels will be approx. one fifth in comparison to the levels before.

Museum
In 1879 the herbarium in the old Botanical garden gained its own building and had now the possibility to present its collectors’ items to the public. A year later an exhibition was introduced. The exhibition’s aim was to teach visitors who were not skilled in this topic. This was the first prequel of the Botanical Museum. After its relocation in 1907 to Dahlem the museum gained a considerably bigger exhibition space on three floors. These were used for expanding exhibitions about geobotany and paleobotany. After the destruction of buildings and a lot of exhibits the rebuilding started in 1957. At this time the museum had a surface area of only one floor. After the relocation of the herbarium and the library to the new east wing the museum could be expanded. On 11 March 1991 the second floor was introduced. In 2004/05 the first floor was reworked and redesigned. Now the museum is seen as an addition to the garden and presents the botanic topics which you cannot observe in the garden. To these belong the historical progress, the progress within a year, inner plant structures, enlarged micro-structures, spreading of species, plant products and the use of plants.

Read more on Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum, VisitBerlin.de – Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum and Wikipedia Berlin Botanical Garden and Botanical Museum (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.



Recommended posts:

Rijeka on the Kvarner Bay

Rijeka on the Kvarner Bay

[caption id="attachment_153807" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Croation National Theatre © Djoko/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Rijeka is the principal seaport and the third-largest city in Croatia (after Zagreb and Split). It is located on Kvarner Bay, an inlet of the Adriatic Sea and has a population of 129,000 inhabitants. Rijeka is the center of Primorje-Gorski Kotar County. The city's economy largely depends on shipbuilding (shipyards "3. Maj" and "Viktor Lenac Shipyard") and maritime transport. Rijeka hosts the ...

Seaside resort Binz on the island Rügen

Seaside resort Binz on the island Rügen

[caption id="attachment_160948" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Binz - Aerial view © Klugschnacker/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Binz is the largest seaside resort on the German island of Rügen. It is situated between the bay of Prorer Wiek and the Schmachter See (a lake) in the southeast of the island. To the north of Binz stretches the Schmale Heide (the "narrow heath"), a tongue of land which joins the Muttland region of Rügen to the Jasmund peninsula. The land to the south and east, in the Granitz, of Binz is hi...

Portrait: Werner von Siemens, founder of modern electrical engineering

Portrait: Werner von Siemens, founder of modern electrical engineering

[responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Ernst Werner Siemens was a German inventor and industrialist. Siemens’s name has been adopted as the SI unit of electrical conductance, the siemens. He was also the founder of the electrical and telecommunications company Siemens. After finishing school, Siemens intended to study at the Bauakademie Berlin. However, since his family was highly indebted and thus could not afford to pay the tuition fees, he chose to join the Prussian Military Academy's School of Artillery and Engineering, between the years 1835-1...

The European Union: Common Trade and Economic Policy

The European Union: Common Trade and Economic Policy

[responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Common and Economic Policy The European Single Market is the single market of the European Union, which has officially existed under that name since 1 January 1993. Today, the European single market is the largest common market in the world. The four fundamental freedoms (free movement of goods, free movement of persons, freedom to provide services and free movement of capital and payments) form the basis of the internal market of the European Union. The creation of the European Single Market led to a new econo...

German Half-Timbered House Road

German Half-Timbered House Road

[caption id="attachment_1420" align="alignleft" width="382" caption="Complete overview of the seven regional routes of the German Half-Timbered House Road © Wolfgang A. Köhler"][/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The German Half-Timbered House Road (German: Deutsche Fachwerkstraße) is a German tourist route leading from the river Elbe in the north to Lake Constance in the south. Along the road you can find nearly 100 cities and towns with remarkable timber-framed houses. It is divided into seven sections, leading through the following...

Portrait: Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian general and military theorist

Portrait: Carl von Clausewitz, Prussian general and military theorist

[caption id="attachment_167374" align="aligncenter" width="465"] Carl von Clausewitz by Karl Wilhelm Wach[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz was a Prussian general and military theorist who stressed the "moral" (psychological) and political aspects of war. His most notable work, Vom Kriege (On War), was unfinished at his death. Clausewitz was a realist in many different senses and, while in some respects a romantic, also drew heavily on the rationalist ideas of the European Enlightenment. Clausewitz'...

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
View over Montecito © Grandhiking/cc-by-sa-3.0
Montecito in California

Montecito is an census-designated place in Santa Barbara County in California. It is the wealthiest community in the county. Montecito...

© Javicoves/cc-by-sa-3.0
Alcázar of Segovia in Castile and León

The Alcázar of Segovia (literally, "Segovia Fortress") is a castle, located in Segovia in Castile and León, a World Heritage...

Campo de Gheto Novo © Didier Descouens/cc-by-sa-4.0
The Gheto di Venezia in Venice

The Venetian Ghetto was the area of Venice in which Jews were compelled to live by the government of the...

Schließen