Berlin Cathedral

Friday, 22 March 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: Berlin, General, Museums, Exhibitions

© A.Savin/cc-by-sa-3.0

© A.Savin/cc-by-sa-3.0

Berlin Cathedral (German: Berliner Dom) is the short name for the Evangelical Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church (German: Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin) in Berlin. It is located on Museum Island in the Mitte borough. The current building was finished in 1905 and is a major work of Historicist architecture of the “Kaiserzeit“.

The Dom is the parish church of the congregation Gemeinde der Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin, a member of the umbrella organisation Evangelical Church of Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia. The Berlin Cathedral has never been a cathedral in the actual sense of that term since it has never been the seat of a bishop. The bishop of the Evangelical Church in Berlin-Brandenburg (under this name 1945–2003) is based at St. Mary’s Church and Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in Berlin.

However, in the 19th century a new building was under discussion, but the post-Napoleonic poverty made its realization impossible. After dismantling the movable interior (altar, paintings, sarcophagi), Boumann’s building was demolished in 1893 and Julius and Otto Raschdorff, father and son, built the present Supreme Parish and Cathedral Church in exuberant forms of high Neo-Renaissance style.

With no separation of Protestant church and state of Prussia, Wilhelm II officiated as the summus episcopus (Supreme Governor of the Evangelical State Church of Prussia’s older Provinces, as it was named since 1875) and the state paid the complete construction cost of 11,5 million Marks. At 114 metres (374 ft) long, 73 metres (240 ft) wide and 116 metres (381 ft) tall, it was much larger than any of the previous buildings and was considered a Protestant counterweight to St. Peter’s Basilica in Vatican City. On 27 February 1905, the present building was inaugurated.

© panoramio.com - Jens Cederskjold/cc-by-3.0 © Thomas Wolf - www.foto-tw.de/cc-by-sa-3.0-de © panoramio.com - Wiper México/cc-by-sa-3.0 © geo.hlipp.de - Sebastian und Kari/cc-by-sa-2.0 © geo.hlipp.de - Colin Smith/cc-by-sa-2.0 © flickr.com - Steve Collis/cc-by-2.0 © flickr.com - Dennis Jarvis/cc-by-sa-2.0 © Elemaki/cc-by-3.0 Altar © flickr.com - Steffen Zahn/cc-by-2.0 © A.Savin/cc-by-sa-3.0
<
>
© geo.hlipp.de - Sebastian und Kari/cc-by-sa-2.0
In 1940, the blast waves of Allied bombing blew part of the windows away. On 24 May 1944, a bomb of combustible liquids entered the roof lantern of the dome. The fire could not be extinguished at that unreachable section of the dome. So the lantern burnt out and collapsed into the main floor. Between 1949 and 1953, a temporary roof was built to enclose the building. On 9 May 1967 the then still undivided Evangelical Church of the Union decided a committee for the reconstruction of the Supreme Parish and Cathedral Church, then located in East Berlin. The government of the Eastern German Democratic Republic did not oppose the work of the committee due to the concomitant inflow of Deutsche Marks.

In 1975, reconstruction started, simplifying the building’s original design and demolishing the northern wing, the ‘Denkmalskirche’ – Memorial Church. Compared by some to the Medici Chapel, it had survived the war completely intact but was demolished for ideological reasons by the communist government due to it being a hall of honour for the Hohenzollern dynasty. This resulted in scaffolding for restoration appearing on the church while detonation charges were applied to its undamaged rear. The government also demanded the removal of as many crosses as possible. The demolition and redesign cost 800,000 marks, while the restoration (done on the cheap) cost just 50,000 marks. The Berlin Cathedral Building Society now seek to rebuild the Denkmalskirche.

In 1980, the baptistery and wedding church was reopened for services. The restoration of the nave was begun in 1984. On 6 June 1993, the nave was reinaugurated in an event attended by Federal Chancellor Helmut Kohl and televised nationwide in Germany. There has been discussion to restore the dome and surrounding cupolas to their original appearance, but this has not occurred due to lack of funds.

Read more on Berlin Cathedral, Berlin.de – Berlin Cathedral, VisitBerlin.de – Berlin Cathedral and Wikipedia Berlin Cathedral (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

Djerba in the Gulf of Gabès

Djerba in the Gulf of Gabès

[caption id="attachment_150782" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Sunset on Djerba © SuperManu/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Djerba is, at 514 square kilometres (198 sq mi), the largest island of North Africa, located in the Gulf of Gabes, off the coast of Tunisia. It has a population of about 160,000. The island comprises three of the delegations within the Medenine Governorate. Legend has it that Djerba was the island of the Lotus-Eaters where Odysseus was stranded on his voyage through the Mediterranean. An a...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Ireland - Castlebar

Theme Week Ireland - Castlebar

[caption id="attachment_171147" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Linenhall Street © flickr.com - Rambling Traveler/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Castlebar (Irish: Caisleán an Bharraigh, meaning "Barry's Castle") is the county town of County Mayo. It is the largest town in County Mayo. The town is linked by railway to Dublin, Westport and Ballina. The main route by road is the N5. Its economy is primarily service-based. Castlebar is traditionally a market town, and it is still a major destination for shoppers from all ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

The USS Constellation

The USS Constellation

[caption id="attachment_161338" align="aligncenter" width="393"] © 350z33/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]USS Constellation, constructed in 1854, is a sloop-of-war/corvette and the second United States Navy ship to carry the name. According to the U.S. Naval Registry the original frigate was disassembled on 25 June 1853 in Gosport Navy Yard in Norfolk and the sloop-of-war/corvette was constructed in the same yard using material salvaged from the earlier ship. Constellation is the last sail-only warship designed and built...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Durban in South Africa

Durban in South Africa

[caption id="attachment_153871" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Durban Waterfront © Simisa/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Durban is the largest city in the South African province of KwaZulu-Natal. It is also the second most important manufacturing hub in South Africa after Johannesburg. It forms part of the eThekwini metropolitan municipality. Durban is famous for being the busiest port in South Africa and Africa. It is also seen as one of the major centres of tourism because of the city's warm subtropical climate and ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Zermatt and the Matterhorn

Zermatt and the Matterhorn

[caption id="attachment_160604" align="aligncenter" width="586"] Zermatt and Matterhorn © Stan Shebs[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Zermatt is a municipality in the district of Visp in the German-speaking section of the canton of Valais in Switzerland. It has a population of about 5,800 inhabitants. The village is situated at the end of Mattertal at an altitude of 1,620 m (5,310 ft), at the feet of Switzerland's highest peaks. It lies about 10 km (6.2 mi) from the over 10,800 ft (3,291.84 m) high Theodul Pass bordering Italy. ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Canary Islands - Lanzarote

Theme Week Canary Islands - Lanzarote

[caption id="attachment_153409" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Cactus © Méndez[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Lanzarote is the easternmost of the autonomous Canary Islands, approximately 125 km off the coast of Africa and 1,000 km from the Iberian Peninsula. Covering 845.9 km2, it stands as the fourth largest of the islands. The first recorded name for the island, given by Angelino Dulcert, was Insula de Lanzarotus Marocelus, after the Genoese navigator Lancelotto Malocello, from which the modern name is derived. The island's nam...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

The spa town of Bad Bentheim

The spa town of Bad Bentheim

[caption id="attachment_150717" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Bentheim Castle - Rose 'De la Grifferaie' from 1845 with an yet unidentified wasp © Kleuske[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bad Bentheim is a town in Lower Saxony, lying in the district of Grafschaft Bentheim on the borders with North Rhine-Westphalia and the Netherlands roughly 15 km south of Nordhorn and 20 km northeast of Enschede. It is also a state-recognized thermal brine and sulphur spa town, hence the designation Bad (“Bath”). In Bad Bentheim is also found t...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

The Camden Market in London

The Camden Market in London

[caption id="attachment_23555" align="alignleft" width="590"] Camden Lock Market © flickr.com - Duncan Harris/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Camden markets are a number of adjoining large retail markets in Camden Town near the Hampstead Road Lock of the Regent's Canal (popularly referred to as Camden Lock), often collectively named "Camden Market" or "Camden Lock". Among products sold on the stalls are crafts, clothing, bric-a-brac, and fast food. It is the fourth-most popular visitor attraction in London, attracting a...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Serpentine Gallery © Mark Ahsmann/cc-by-sa-3.0
Kensington in London

Kensington is a district in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in West London. The district's commercial heart is...

Hotel Monte Vista © flickr.com - SearchNet Media/cc-by-2.0
Flagstaff in Arizona, gate to the Grand Canyon

Flagstaff is a city in and the county seat of Coconino County in northern Arizona, in the southwestern United States....

© Marc Ryckaert/cc-by-3.0
Jubilee Park in Brussels

Parc du Cinquantenaire (French for "Park of the Fiftieth Anniversary") or Jubelpark (Dutch for "Jubilee Park") is a large public,...

Schließen