Berlin Cathedral

March 22nd, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Berlin, General, Museums, Exhibitions

© A.Savin/cc-by-sa-3.0

© A.Savin/cc-by-sa-3.0

Berlin Cathedral (German: Berliner Dom) is the short name for the Evangelical Supreme Parish and Collegiate Church (German: Oberpfarr- und Domkirche zu Berlin) in Berlin. It is located on Museum Island in the Mitte borough. The current building was finished in 1905 and is a major work of Historicist architecture of the “Kaiserzeit“.   read more…

Kensington in London

March 20th, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, London

Serpentine Gallery © Mark Ahsmann/cc-by-sa-3.0

Serpentine Gallery © Mark Ahsmann/cc-by-sa-3.0

Kensington is a district in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in West London. The district’s commercial heart is Kensington High Street, running on an east-west axis. The north east is taken up by Kensington Gardens, containing the Albert Memorial, the Serpentine Gallery and Speke‘s monument. South Kensington is home to Imperial College London, the Royal College of Music and the Royal Albert Hall. The area is also home to many European embassies.   read more…

Jubilee Park in Brussels

March 15th, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Museums, Exhibitions

© Marc Ryckaert/cc-by-3.0

© Marc Ryckaert/cc-by-3.0

Parc du Cinquantenaire (French for “Park of the Fiftieth Anniversary”) or Jubelpark (Dutch for “Jubilee Park”) is a large public, urban park (30 hectares) in the easternmost part of the European Quarter in Brussels.   read more…

Istanbul Cevahir Shopping and Entertainment Centre

March 6th, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Union for the Mediterranean

© Maurice07/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Maurice07/cc-by-sa-3.0

Istanbul Cevahir Shopping and Entertainment Centre, also known as Şişli Kültür ve Ticaret Merkezi (Şişli Culture and Trade Centre) is a modern shopping mall located on the Büyükdere Avenue in the Şişli district of Istanbul. Opened on 15 October 2005, Istanbul Cevahir was the largest shopping mall in Europe in terms of gross leasable area between 2005 and 2011, and is one of the largest in the world.   read more…

Mercado da Ribeira in Lisbon

March 4th, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

© flickr.com - Paul Arps/cc-by-2.0

© flickr.com – Paul Arps/cc-by-2.0

The Mercado da Ribeira is a market hall on Avenida 24 de Julho of the Portuguese capital of Lisbon, where fresh fish, vegetables and fruits have been sold since the 19th century. It can be reached by public transport from the Carris via the Cais do Sodré station.   read more…

Tower of London

March 1st, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: House of the Month, London, Museums, Exhibitions, UNESCO World Heritage

© Bob Collowân/cc-by-sa-4.0

© Bob Collowân/cc-by-sa-4.0

The Tower of London, officially Her Majesty’s Royal Palace and Fortress of the Tower of London, is a historic castle located on the north bank of the River Thames in central London. It lies within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, separated from the eastern edge of the square mile of the City of London by the open space known as Tower Hill. It was founded towards the end of 1066 as part of the Norman Conquest of England. The White Tower, which gives the entire castle its name, was built by William the Conqueror in 1078 and was a resented symbol of oppression, inflicted upon London by the new ruling elite. The castle was used as a prison from 1100 (Ranulf Flambard) until 1952 (Kray twins), although that was not its primary purpose. A grand palace early in its history, it served as a royal residence. As a whole, the Tower is a complex of several buildings set within two concentric rings of defensive walls and a moat. There were several phases of expansion, mainly under Kings Richard I, Henry III, and Edward I in the 12th and 13th centuries. The general layout established by the late 13th century remains despite later activity on the site.   read more…

Steigenberger Frankfurter Hof

February 15th, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General, Hotels

© Epizentrum/cc-by-sa-3.0

© Epizentrum/cc-by-sa-3.0

The Frankfurter Hof is a hotel in Frankfurt am Main. It was built between 1872 and 1876 on the grounds of the former Weißer Hirsch by Karl Jonas Mylius and Alfred Friedrich Bluntschli and was one of the first addresses of Frankfurt’s gastronomy. First director was J. Fauchère-Shimon. The Frankfurter Hof is the flagship of the Deutsche Hospitality.   read more…

Étang de Thau in Southern France

February 1st, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: General

Barrou Neighbourhood and the Étang de Thau with its Oster farms seen from Sète © Christian Ferrer/cc-by-sa-3.0

Barrou Neighbourhood and the Étang de Thau with its Oster farms seen from Sète © Christian Ferrer/cc-by-sa-3.0

Étang de Thau or Bassin de Thau is the largest of a string of lagoons (étangs) that stretch along the French coast from the Rhône River to the foothills of the Pyrenees and the border to Spain in the Languedoc-Roussillon. Although it has a high salinity, it is considered the second largest lake in France. Located between the towns of Sète and Marseillan in the Hérault département, the Étang de Thau is shared administratively by the communes of (running clockwise): Balaruc-le-Vieux, Balaruc-les-Bains, Frontignan, Sète, Marseillan, Mèze, Loupian and Bouzigues. The Bassin de Thau provides a habitat for a variety of wild animals, notably birds such as herons and pink flamingos and a rich marine fauna, including bivalves (oysters and mussels), jellyfish, fish, and algae. Periodically in the spring and summer, the Thau Lagoon has algae blooms of Alexandrium catenella which sometimes reach such high levels that it results in contamination of the lagoon’s bivalves with algae toxins.   read more…

German Chancellery in Berlin

January 28th, 2019 | Author/Destination: | Rubric: Architecture, Berlin, General

Main entrance © Tischbeinahe/cc-by-3.0

Main entrance © Tischbeinahe/cc-by-3.0

The Federal Chancellery (German: Bundeskanzleramt) in Berlin is the official seat and residence of the Chancellor of Germany as well as their executive office, the German Chancellery. As part of the move of the German Federal Government from Bonn to Berlin, the office moved into the new building planned by the architects Axel Schultes and Charlotte Frank. The building is part of the “Federal Belt” (Band des Bundes) called assembly in the Spreebogen, Willy-Brandt-Straße 1, 10557 Berlin.   read more…

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲