Alexander Garden in Moscow

Friday, 13 September 2019 - 11:00 am (CET/MEZ) Berlin | Author/Destination:
Category/Kategorie: General, Living, Working, Building

Fountain 'Four Seasons of the Year' © SiefkinDR/cc-by-sa-3.0

Fountain ‘Four Seasons of the Year’ © SiefkinDR/cc-by-sa-3.0

Alexander Gardens was one of the first urban public parks in Moscow, Russia. The park comprises three separate gardens, which stretch along all the length of the western Kremlin wall for 865 metres (2,838 ft) between the building of the Moscow Manege and the Kremlin.

After the Napoleonic Wars, Tsar Alexander I ordered architect Joseph Bové to reconstruct parts of the city which had been destroyed by French troops. Bove laid out a new garden from 1819-1823, on the site of the riverbed of the Neglinnaya River, which was channeled underground.

Towards the main entrance to the park is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with an eternal flame brought from the Field of Mars in Leningrad. Created in 1967, it contains the body of a soldier who fell during the Great Patriotic War at the kilometer 41 marker of Leningradskoe Shosse, the nearest point the forces of Nazi Germany penetrated towards Moscow. Post Number One, where the honor sentinels stand on guard, used to be located in front of Lenin’s Mausoleum, but was moved to the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier in the 1990s. The middle section of the upper garden contains a faux ruined grotto built underneath the Middle Arsenal Tower. Although not constructed until 1841, this was part of Bove’s original design. The garden’s cast iron gate and grille were designed to commemorate the Russian victories over Napoleon, and its rocks are rubble from buildings destroyed during the French occupation of Moscow.

Gates © Минеева Ю./cc-by-sa-1.0 seen from Troitsky Bridge © Shakko/cc-by-sa-4.0 Eternal Flame and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier © Bjørn Christian Tørrissen/cc-by-sa-3.0 Fountain 'Four Seasons of the Year' © SiefkinDR/cc-by-sa-3.0 Grotto © Jes Tya/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Leonid Dzhepko/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Ludvig14/cc-by-sa-4.0 © Maria Carmen/cc-by-sa-3.0 © Mitrius
<
>
Eternal Flame and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier © Bjørn Christian Tørrissen/cc-by-sa-3.0
In front of the grotto is an obelisk erected on July 10 1914, a year after the tercentenary of the Romanov dynasty was celebrated. The monument made of granite from Finland listed all of the Romanov Tsars and had the coats of arms of the (Russian) provinces. Four years later, the dynasty was gone, and the Bolsheviks (per Lenin’s directive on Monumental propaganda) removed the imperial eagle, and re-carved the monument with a list of 19 socialist and communist philosophers and political leaders, personally approved by Lenin. Originally in the Lower Garden, it was relocated to its present location in 1966. There is discussion to remove Lenin’s and reinstall an obelisk duplicating the original. The wrought iron grille, enclosing this part of the garden, has a design of fasces, which are intended to commemorate the military victory over Napoleon. The northern part of the garden is adjacent to the large underground shopping complex at Manege Square.

The most prominent feature of the Middle Garden is the outlying Kutafya Tower of the Moscow Kremlin. There is an entrance to the park opposite the tower directly to the Moscow Metro system.

Laid out in 1823, the Lower Garden stretches to the road leading to the Borovitskaya Tower, one of two vehicular and pedestrian entrances to the Kremlin.

Read more on LonelyPlanet.com – Alexander Garden, Discover Moscow – Alexander Garden, MyGuideMoscow.com – Alexander Garden and Wikipedia Alexander Garden (Smart Traveler App by U.S. Department of State). Photos by Wikimedia Commons. If you have a suggestion, critique, review or comment to this blog entry, we are looking forward to receive your e-mail at comment@wingsch.net. Please name the headline of the blog post to which your e-mail refers to in the subject line.




Recommended posts:

Share this post: (Please note data protection regulations before using buttons)

The sail training ship Danmark

The sail training ship Danmark

[caption id="attachment_152990" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Danmark - Tall Ships Races 2012 © flickr.com - Miguel Mendez/cc-by-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Danmark is a full-rigged ship owned by the Danish Maritime Authority and based at the Maritime Training and Education Centre in Frederikshavn. Danmark is 252 feet (77 m) in overall length with a beam of 32 feet (9.8 m) and a depth of 17 feet (5.2 m), with a gross tonnage of 790 tons. She was designed for a crew complement of 120 but in a 1959 refit this was reduced...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Theme Week Galicia

Theme Week Galicia

[caption id="attachment_153061" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Carnota © Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez/cc-by-sa-3.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Galicia is an autonomous community in northwest Spain, with the official status of a historic nationality. It comprises the provinces of A Coruña, Lugo, Ourense and Pontevedra, being bordered by Portugal to the south, the Spanish autonomous communities of Castile and León and Asturias to the east, and the Atlantic Ocean to the west and the north. Galicia has over 1,660 km (1,030 mi) of...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

The spa city and wine growing district of Bad Kreuznach

The spa city and wine growing district of Bad Kreuznach

[caption id="attachment_160481" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Parkhotel Kreuznach © Axolotl Nr. 733[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Bad Kreuznach is the capital of the district of Bad Kreuznach, Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It is located on the Nahe river, a tributary of the Rhine. The town and the surrounding areas are renowned both nationally and internationally for their wines, especially from the Riesling, Silvaner and Müller-Thurgau grape varieties. The villas of rich citizens built during the German Empire (1871–1918) a...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

The Galápagos Islands

The Galápagos Islands

[caption id="attachment_153689" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Tourists at the Mann Beach with sealions © Iris Diensthuber[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Galápago Islands (official name: Archipiélago de Colón; other Spanish names: Islas de Colón or Islas Galápagos) are an archipelago of volcanic islands distributed around the equator in the Pacific Ocean, 972 km (525 nmi) west of continental Ecuador, of which they are a part. The principal language on the islands is Spanish. The islands have a population of slightly over ...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Singapore River, where it all began

Singapore River, where it all began

[caption id="attachment_158492" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Singapore River, where it all began © flickr.com - William Cho./cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]The Singapore River is a river in Singapore that flows from the Central Area, which lies in the Central Region in the southern part of Singapore before emptying into the ocean. The immediate upper watershed of the Singapore River is known as the Singapore River Planning Area, although the northernmost part of the watershed becomes River Valley. As the Central Are...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Penzance in Cornwall

Penzance in Cornwall

[caption id="attachment_153183" align="aligncenter" width="590"] The Wharfside Centre © geograph.org.uk - Mari Buckley/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Penzance is a town, civil parish and port in Cornwall. It is well known for being the most westerly major town in Cornwall and is approximately 75 miles (121 km) west of Plymouth and 300 miles (480 km) west-southwest of London. Situated in the shelter of Mount's Bay (Towards the middle of the bay and probably the origin of the name is St Michael's Mount), the town faces so...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Landsberg am Lech

Landsberg am Lech

[caption id="attachment_153418" align="aligncenter" width="590"] Market Square © flickr.com - Christian Spannagel/cc-by-sa-2.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Landsberg am Lech is a town in southwest Bavaria, about 65 kilometers west of Munich and 35 kilometers south of Augsburg on the Romantic Road. It is the capital of the district of Landsberg am Lech. Landsberg has a picturesque lively medieval old town, which is still in pretty good shape. The town comprises three main areas. The historic old town centre of Landsberg, w...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Varosha on Cyprus

Varosha on Cyprus

[caption id="attachment_25798" align="aligncenter" width="590"] © Yolanda Demetriou/cc-by-sa-1.0[/caption][responsivevoice_button voice="UK English Female" buttontext="Listen to this Post"]Varosha is a quarter in the Cypriot city of Famagusta. By law it belongs to the Republic of Cyprus, but is located within Northern Cyprus. Prior to the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, it was the modern tourist area of Famagusta. Its inhabitants fled during the invasion, and it has remained abandoned ever since. In the 1970s, Famagusta was the number one tourist destination in Cyprus. To cater to...

[ read more/mehr lesen ]

Return to Top ▲Return to Top ▲
Central Business District © 郭友柏/cc-by-sa-4.0
Beijing in China

Beijing ("Northern Capital") is the capital of the People's Republic of China, the world's third most populous city proper, and...

© Kirua
Viñales Valley in Cuba

Viñales Valley (Valle de Viñales) is a karstic depression in Cuba. The valley has an area of 132 km² (51...

© Mytwocents/cc-by-sa-3.0
Mariners’ Museum and Park in Newport News

The Mariners' Museum and Park is located in Newport News, Virginia, United States. Designated as America’s National Maritime Museum by...

Schließen